A little help please deciding on a cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Femto, Mar 28, 2004.

1. I play in a 3 piece rock band and of late we've been gigging more and more.

My trouble is that I'm being crippled by my rig.

At the moment it consists of:

'73 Fender Precision
    Ashdown ABM 300 EVO head (325w RMS)
    2 Peavey TVX410 8ohm cabs

I play mainly with a pick and I like a punchy sound with the "springyness" of the P Bass. I like the way the rig sounds now but dammit those cabs are awful to haul around. :meh:

I've been trawling through the net looking at all kinds of cabs but I'm pretty much stuck. What I want to do is lose the two 4x10 cabs and go for a single cab that will give a similar sorta result, just without the hugeness.

I seem to be swaying toward the SWR "Henry the 8x8" or the "Goliath Senior"....
    Still though, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :help:

2. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Well the Goliath Senior is a nice and bright/punchy cab but keep in mind that it is heavy 100+ lbs. I would almost rather carry around 2 smaller cabs then trying to lug this thing around. Its not the weight so much as the awkardness of the cabs size and shape. It can be impossible to carry it up narrow, awkward, staircases unless you have another person to help you out. As far as the cab goes mine has been great just make sure you have enough power to push it.

3. About 1 year ago I decided to downsize my rig! I had a Trace Elliot 500 watt head with Trace Elliot 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabs. Coupled with a back injury at the time I decided something had to go!

Interesting that you have an Ashdown head as it will sound great with my suggestion! Ashdown Mini 48 and Ashdown Mini 15 cabs. Yes, I know that it's 2 cabs, but at 25 kgs for the Mini 48 and 19 kgs for the Mini 15......they are a dawdle to move around....see if you can try them out!
  4. Ah yeah there's an idea, thanks for that. I'd not thought of two but at that size and weight, it sure is worth a look.

Looks like the two come to £860 and they're small and light.

Mind you, one cab would still be a nice novelty for me and the SWR Goliath Senior, complete with it's very own wheels :D is only about £30 more.

Oh I dunno, I might prefer one, 130lb box with wheels than two 98lb boxes with none. Haha! :p

Heh, I'll have to go find these cabs (the Ashes and the Swrs) and try and lift them one after the other!

I'm still not sure if these will give me the sound that I want because I've never played through any of them so if anyone's got any bright ideas about what else I could consider, lets have some more suggestions too please!

Cheers so far guys for replying!