Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little help required from Ampeg V4/V4B owners.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N*Joy, May 25, 2005.

1. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    What type of screws are supposed to hold the chassis to the amp sleeve?

I've been through the usual trays of spares around at home and nothing seems to do it - machine screws only go in for about 1/8th", none of the other various wood screws etc. seem to do it.

This has got to be the most basic and simple question I've ever put to a forum but it really pissed me off last night, I want to send it off for repair but there's nothing holding it together (I bought it sold as seen for £50)!

2. I replaced mine years ago, seems like they were either #12 machine screws or regular 1/4-20 machine screws.

Do you have the old screws? They were "clutch head" screws... you could take them to hardware store to match threads.

3. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Much appreciated bill - unfortunately I don't have the originals to match up. Any idea what that is in metric? :D

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If it is 1/4-20, it ought to be a 6.3 x 1.27........no I don't think there is one, unless someone has simply re-defined the pitch in metric and is supplying them... And I don't think it crosses to a "BA" thread either.

Surely you folks can still get "english" measure hardware.....we can get either that OR metric over here.

5. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Unfortunately the only thing left imperial here is plumbing (and that's just a straight conversion of measurements into mm) - that's the EU for you.

6. I just checked mine, they're 1/4-20 by 1 inch long.

A 6 mm metric will be too small.

The 1/4 means it's a 1/4 inch major diameter, the 20 means there's 20 threads per inch.

So you have two options: a) keep looking, somewhere there's bound to be some....try vintage auto restoration shops, or old radio restoration shops, or even call up a fastener supply shop.

Or b) drill the holes out and tap them for 8 mm threads.

Personally, I'd go with a). I lived in France for a year and a half and I know we were able to obtain "inch" hardware pieces where I worked. You just have to find the right source. Keep trying!! :D

7. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks for the help guys it's sorted - thanks to the enigineer father in law!

I can't believe how effective the shock mounting is on 30 year old pieces of rubber! Superb.