A little help w/ some Wooten stuff

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Michael Henson, Sep 19, 2005.

1. I'm working on learning "Amazing Grace" and have a few sticky points. In the beginning (from Bela Fleck-Live Art) it sounds like he's popping some chords. Any ideas on what those are? And when he goes back into the second version of (where he starts to "funk it up") he does something that kind of sounds like a strum. I've experimented a lot and can't get the same sound. Help?
  2. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    One of the reasons is that he's playing on a tenor bass. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. Agent000

Jan 23, 2005
    Well, it is not a tenor bass. I have the 'best of victor wooten' book. Although I'm not clear what you mean by the strumming bit, the chords are:

4. I have the book too and when I strum those chords I'm not getting the same sound he gets.
  5. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I'm working on learning this too...How does he get his harmonics so loud and clear? everytime I pluck <3.2> it's no where near as audible as the <4> and <5>'s.
  6. One thing I do to help with that is to make sure I've got my gain turned up and play with my right hand close to the bridge (at least on the harmonics part). Also, that harmonic at 3.2 you just have to play around with. The others (4, 5 & 3) are easier because there is a little bit more room to place your fingers without missing the "spot." Just play with it until you find where it sounds the best, remember it, and then play so everything comes out even. Does this help?
  7. Bassinthehole

Jun 21, 2005
    If you're ever been lucky enough to get your hands on a Fodera you'll know why Vic's harmonics sound so good. The Fodera's harmonics jump off the bass. I've seen kids who don't know a thing about bass pick up a fodera and sound amazing...I guess that's why they're so goddamn expensive.
  8. sumo

Dec 29, 2004
    Warwick's thumb bass is also able to ring out harmonics with ease.
  9. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that the strumming thing that you are talking about is called a "flam"

Start by closing your hand into a very loose fist with your palm towards the strings. Then flick your hand open and strike the strings with the backs of your finger nails. You can get a little more pop by getting your wrist into the action. This is like strumming a guitar without a pick.

Closing your hand in order to return ii to position and hitting the strings on the way back up is a "flim" I might have the names confused, and a flim may be a flam, and a flam a flim, or vice versa. Okie Dokie Doggy Daddy?
  10. Makes sense. That's kind of what I've been doing, I guess it'll just take a little more practice to get it to come out right. Thanks.