1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little help with acoustic electric bass strings please.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Twiggy Jr., May 3, 2006.

1. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I have a Johnson Deep Body A/E 4 string bass. JG622E. I have broken my E string and need to buy more strings. Thing is I have no idea what kind of strings belong on that. They are silver and metal (nickel maybe?). Do I need to stay with the exact same kinds of strings, or can I go with bronze wound strings? The reason I ask is that when I first broke it, I was going to put the E string from my Fender Electric on there and I happened to call a friend and he basically told me that would jack up my intonation. So now I want to make sure I'm not gonna jack anything up. I have looked on the Johnson web site and even emailed them, but, alas, no response. Help, please...I'm a night owl and when my roommates are sleeping I need to play my acoustic.

2. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    You basically can use any type of bass string for your acoustic electric...Just be careful when you remove the bridge nut...Loosen the tension of the string before you try to jack that baby out of there...otherwise you will have a projectile metal prod heading for your eyes...

I have used nickel rounds and bronze rounds on my a/e ibanez...I did not care much for the bronze tone after about 3 hours of playing...they seemed like they wore out really quick...

I have some medium light guage d'addario's on there now...bright, clean, good tone...

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I put LaBella Deep Talkin Bass nylon tape wounds on my Ibanez ABG. It got rid of the 'sizzle' that the brass strings had. Carvin carries the LaBellas, and Elderly is a good source for ABG strings.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Be careful with the LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass strings. They are very high tension, massive strings. I think I may have damaged my bass by having them on for a long time. They sound wonderful and feel great, but they are very high tension. I'd recommend going with D'Adario phosphor bronze acoustic bass guitar strings. There's a thread here that's interesting.

5. Twiggy Jr.

Twiggy Jr.

Nov 17, 2005
    Oklahoma
    sweet
    thanx