Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a little help witht my tone please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rowan_Jazz_Head, Jun 8, 2004.

1. hey everyone,

I play a Precision bass through an ashdown rig, which is basically a 4 by 10 and a 1 by 15 powered by an AMB 500 head. I play in a band with two guitarists. I am finding myself struggling to cut through with the two guitars. My problem doesn't seem to be volume, I got alot of power. It is more a case of my tone is lacking something and there for being lost in the mix slightly. Does anyone have any EQ ideas, any signles I can boost in order for my sound to sit better in the mix. My sound as it is is pretty much flat. I like my basses to sound like what they are, so if I am playing my P...I want my P sound and if I play my J(not as often live) I want it to sound like a J. I am just really wanting my sound to have it's own space and sit better in the mix. Can anyone help me. thanks.
    rowan

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Try using your jazz bass instead. I find that they fill different sonic space and that the jazz might sit better in your mix.

3. Midrange = Cutting through a band.

boost some midrange, boost a bit of treble. Both the P and the J can find space. Tell your guitarists to stay the hell out of your frequency range.

4. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    right mo'phat. could be the gp's are using waaay too much bass in their sound. happens a lot. that way the freqs have a tendency to get mixed up and things just don't sound right (blurry).
    just say 'I play the bass around here, got it?' :D

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah bass heavy guitar is a problem. I play with another guy that uses so much bass on his acoustic (!) guitar that my P bass was getting lost. :eyebrow: It sounded mushy to me and I decided I didnt want to turn up or crank the bass on my pre because that would only contribute to the mess. I started using a jazz because suggestions to kill the bass on the guitar werent heeded. Now I can hear myself.

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    There is a thread under basses titled "400hz, 600hz, or 800hz for aggresive growl?" that talks about boosting 400 in several places...

Tim99.

7. Nothing new here. I would just like to agree with the idea of boosting your mids somewhere between 400-800hz.

The more important issue might be the guitarist's tone. I would start there. Have him back off the 250hz area or bass knob. I had to ask my current guitarist to do this recently and got the shock of my life. He "AGREED" to try it and thanked me for the good suggestion! I nearly passed out.

8. It's the simple case of "what sounds good at home or playing alone just doesn't sound good in a band situation". Guitarists (whether they'd ever admit it or not) know they have to have bass to fill out their tone, so when they play by themselves, they up the bass frequencies to simulate US. In a band, the bass is covered, so he needs to change his tone.

HOWEVER!!! The same can be said for Bass as well. We generally cut out the harsh mids when we play alone. It just sounds better soloed that way, but put that in a band situation, voila...you can't hear the bass.

Ditto for vocal eq'ing and drum tuning. and keyboards...and percussion...ad nauseum.

EQ the Band.

9. This is so true. I have found that I use a lot more tweeter with the band than I do at my house. It is so much better if the whole band finds their spot in the mix than if everyone brings their favorite sound and hope for the best.

10. wblaze

wblaze

Apr 26, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've been in that situation of cutting through a loud band/guitars with a P-bass before and ended up switching to my Stingray. What a difference - it punched right through! You could also try playing with a pick. I'm a P-bass w/fingers guy at heart, but somethimes with a loud rock situation I find that a different instrument just works better.

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Try fooling around with equalization. Boosting your mid will allow you to cut the through but still not sound clanky. I don't think using a P or a J will matter much in terms of cutting through. They have different sounds, but enharmonically, not in terms of gain.