Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little help would be good? I need advice on my first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Denomar, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Ok, I'm just starting out and I've played guitar before and I currently play bass on the top 4 strings of a leccy guitar :bawl: not very professional. At xmas im getting one. What do u recommend and what equipment should I get?
    :bassist:
    Greg Kriesel ROCKS!

2. I'm going to reccommend, like I do to all new players, either an Ibanez GSR200 or an Essex. I started on the GSR200, which I still have and play, and it has been a good bass to me.

I recently (earlier in the summer) got an Essex BG205 (5 string) and it is incredible (IMO). There are quite a few TBers with Essex basses who like them, so I can recommend it w/o getting too much flak from people ;). Also, telling us what kind of music you like to play can help us in telling you what bass would be best. You can check out specs for the GSR200 at www.ibanez.com and purchase one at www.musiciansfriend.com and you can check out the Essex basses at www.rondomusic.bigstep.com

For more info on the Essex basses check out the Essex Bass Guitar MEGATHREAD

That's my advice for you, also I can reccommend a Fender if you want a bit higher quality bass. ~ Tyler

edit: I'm not super big on amps, so my advice is only for Basses, just to let you know ;)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends which way you decide to go:

If you go with a pack, there are a few options out there:
    Squier Pack: crappy bass, crappy amp, but everyone'll recognize it
    Ibanez Pack: decent bass, crappy amp, and Ibanez is getting really popular these days
    Hartke Pack: crappy bass, decent amp, and noone'll recognize it.

If you go with a pack, if you start playing out, you'll need a new amp right away. 10-15 watts is hardly enough for practice.

Otherwise,you can get an Ibanez or Mexican Fender for less than $400 and drop a few bucks on the amp, or save a lot of money on the bass and get an Essex from rondomusic.com

As far as amps, you'll probably need about 100 watts to begin playing out, probably check out the obvious: Fender, Crate, but definately be sure to check out Gallien-Krueger.

All and all, it's all preference, but hope that helped a abit.