1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Little Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbold, Sep 21, 2008.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I'm looking towards the future and trying to get my head straight about a bass upgrade.

I currently play a standard jazz 5. Mexican Fender. i like the way it plays but it's not a pro-quality bass. I am looking for a well built classic bass but it doesn't have to be Fender for me as I intend to change the electronics.

Does anyone know of any brands that are making top notch reprods at fair prices?

It seems to be worth my while to have a custom bass built, as I have 2 offers on the table...both guitar techs, both appreciate my interest and input into knowing what I want and it being a fairly humble creation or a showstopper of a J bass.

Would it be worth my time to build my own from Warmoth?

I want a heavy bridge with top load or strings through options, a really strong neck, and a headstock that leaves me more string length on the thicker strings...lefty neck perhaps?

I also like the knob configurations of the nordies, ken smith brooklyn basses, and celinder jazzes...I only need 4 knobs for what I want and aside from a custom white/yellow/orange sunburst on a highly figured top to look like the surface of the sun, my specifics are on hardware, simple ideas, and quality.

Until I know what I want to have built, I will be playing my workhorse and changing the strings...

Also, Anyone know of any good places for pickguard material?

I can't find blue/white tortoiseshell anywhere.

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Valenti

A damn good alternative to Fender.

Precision and Jazz replicas, customized to your taste.
    Check them out, I think about half the TB members (including me) are GASsing for a Valenti.
    Lots of options, configurations and options.

Check them out.

Use search function and type Valenti.
    In Nino Valenti's sig you'll find the link to his site.

In the future I might order a Valenti P-bass.
    But first is a Carvin on my list.