Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a little hizzelp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emokidz28, Aug 12, 2003.

1. emokidz28

emokidz28

Aug 12, 2003
    I'm looking to start on making a "rig". Because i have to put some of my money in the bank from my summer job, i'll have probably around 450~500 bucks to get me started. I'll wanna get the rack, preamp, and poweramp together this summer, and then buy speaker cabs as i come across the scratch for them. So for the price range i listed, what would be a good Pre/Power amp combination with the cost of the rack factored in? thanks...

2. I'd look into:

New Crown XLS 402A amp
    Used SWR Gran Prix pre
    Used rack

Should be in your budget and sound good for years.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If you have nothing now, I would recommend getting a good used combo amp for the price range you specify. Even if you get a component system later, you will still find plenty of uses for the combo.

However, if you insist on going with components I would either buy a good used pre only, or a used pre and power amp. If you are looking for a pre only, there are many good ones to choose from. Go to basstasters to hear how they sound.(Honestly, if you are just starting out, I doubt you would really appreciate the difference.)

That site also lists some inexpensive pre's. In addition to what is there, you should also look for a Yamaha PB-1. This is an awesome solid state pre that was produced in the eighties. You can pick them up for about $100.

For power amps, you may actually want to get a new one. The prices on amps have dropped dramatically. You will often get more power for the buck than a used one. You should get 500 watts or more.

4. Building the rack yourself is a pretty easy project, if you're so inclined, that helps you save a lot of money as well.

5. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    This might be a little off topic, but do you have any pointers to good sites that go through the process? I have no idea ab woodwork and how to put the pieces of wood together, or how thick it should be, etc. It does sound like a good idea though, but at least for my needs (deep 2U-4U), racks can be found on ebay for ~$20/30 if lucky and patient enough. But..DIY is always fun. :)