Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little horse trading...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Jan 13, 2006.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    ... I recently did a bit of upgrading to my bass rig:

For sort of a Christmas present to myself(the GF pitched in some, too), I added a Peavey 410TXF bass cabinet to my bass rig - nice clear highs, and FAR more bottom end than I would've guessed(and plenty loud, too) - the attentuator for the tweeter is nice, too.. This cab is built like a tank(castors WILL be in order) - and is said to handle 700 watts, peak - and on top of one of my 115s, it flat out ROCKS!!! Now, since I have two 115s, one of them had become expendable - and a little shopping at one of the local music stores turned up a used Peavey Combo 300... For those that don't know, this combo amp has a 15" Black Widow in it, will support an additional cab - and puts out a CLEAN 300 watts @ 2 ohms... I played through one for over 10 years, and really liked it ALOT - unfortunately, I sold it during a long hiatus from band playing... This amp isn't in bad outward appearance(pretty clean, actually), but had a little operating problem - it would occasionally "break up" a little while playing through it - and they wanted $150, "as is"... I ended up trading a Peavey 115 BX BW cab and $30 for it - with the agreement that I could return the amp, should I be unable to fix it... I checked out the amp's speaker, and it was healthy - so at the very least, I would still have a 115 cab, even if the amp didn't pan out - but I was fairly confident I could fix it... I swung the deal, and brought it home - long story short, I found a couple of questionable looking solder joints, visited them with a soldering iron, tighted up all the pin sockets, added an internal speaker IN jack - and generally cleaned it up, inside and out - and fired 'er up... All those great tones from my last one came rushing back to me - it ROCKED, and I was good to go - I played it by itself, hooked up with my "new" 410, and then with the internal speaker disconnected, but the amp hooked up to both my cabs - and got a GREAT sound all the way around, with plenty of clean power...

So, basically I traded a cab I had about $200 into, and had used for a year, and $30 for a great sounding combo amp that I had already really liked in the past - I'm pretty happy with the way it worked out... I think this makes my Mark VIII head somewhat expendable - although @ 600 watts, it's got more power - the Combo 300 has more than enough wattage to "git 'er done", and has a better sound - I think that when I get a few $$$ together(or when a smokin' deal pops up), I'm going to use the Mark VIII for trade bait towards a rack mounted set-up... I already know what pre-amp I want - I'll just add a power amp(800-1,000 watts), a rack mounted tuner, power conditioner, and a wireless set-up - and that'll be my main rig, with the Combo 300 handling anything I don't want to use the monster rig for...

Anyways, I just thought I'd share this with everyone... If you've never checked out one of those Combo 300s, I suggest you do - they can be had for a good price alot of times, and can be used in alot of different ways...

- georgestrings