1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little horse trading...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Jan 13, 2006.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    ... I recently did a bit of upgrading to my bass rig:

For sort of a Christmas present to myself(the GF pitched in some, too), I added a Peavey 410TXF bass cabinet to my bass rig - nice clear highs, and FAR more bottom end than I would've guessed(and plenty loud, too) - the attentuator for the tweeter is nice, too.. This cab is built like a tank(castors WILL be in order) - and is said to handle 700 watts, peak - and on top of one of my 115s, it flat out ROCKS!!! Now, since I have two 115s, one of them had become expendable - and a little shopping at one of the local music stores turned up a used Peavey Combo 300... For those that don't know, this combo amp has a 15" Black Widow in it, will support an additional cab - and puts out a CLEAN 300 watts @ 2 ohms... I played through one for over 10 years, and really liked it ALOT - unfortunately, I sold it during a long hiatus from band playing... This amp isn't in bad outward appearance(pretty clean, actually), but had a little operating problem - it would occasionally "break up" a little while playing through it - and they wanted $150, "as is"... I ended up trading a Peavey 115 BX BW cab and $30 for it - with the agreement that I could return the amp, should I be unable to fix it... I checked out the amp's speaker, and it was healthy - so at the very least, I would still have a 115 cab, even if the amp didn't pan out - but I was fairly confident I could fix it... I swung the deal, and brought it home - long story short, I found a couple of questionable looking solder joints, visited them with a soldering iron, tighted up all the pin sockets, added an internal speaker IN jack - and generally cleaned it up, inside and out - and fired 'er up... All those great tones from my last one came rushing back to me - it ROCKED, and I was good to go - I played it by itself, hooked up with my "new" 410, and then with the internal speaker disconnected, but the amp hooked up to both my cabs - and got a GREAT sound all the way around, with plenty of clean power...

So, basically I traded a cab I had about $200 into, and had used for a year, and $30 for a great sounding combo amp that I had already really liked in the past - I'm pretty happy with the way it worked out... I think this makes my Mark VIII head somewhat expendable - although @ 600 watts, it's got more power - the Combo 300 has more than enough wattage to "git 'er done", and has a better sound - I think that when I get a few $$$ together(or when a smokin' deal pops up), I'm going to use the Mark VIII for trade bait towards a rack mounted set-up... I already know what pre-amp I want - I'll just add a power amp(800-1,000 watts), a rack mounted tuner, power conditioner, and a wireless set-up - and that'll be my main rig, with the Combo 300 handling anything I don't want to use the monster rig for...

Anyways, I just thought I'd share this with everyone... If you've never checked out one of those Combo 300s, I suggest you do - they can be had for a good price alot of times, and can be used in alot of different ways...

- georgestrings