1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A little info about my Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RapierSix, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Hi guys, I am the owner of a 97' Fender Jazz bass a few years ago and it ocured to me that I don't know much about my bass.

Would some one please verify what I think each dial does and if there is a difference in any way between the neck and bridge pickups (Like one picks up more trebel the other bass, something like that.).

[​IMG]

Going from top to bottom I know #1 is Volume, I think #2 is Mid eq, #3 I know is a double stack bass and trebel (I know the treble knob is missing), and #4 I really don't know much of, it's either a pickup selector or gain/boost (Would really like to know what this knob is really is.).

[​IMG]

And like I said previously, are these pickups identical, do the eq's go to different pups (This is a used bass but I believe it is all factory set except for the gold tuners I put on.), anything I haven't thought of?

Also, you won't be able to see this in my pictures but the pick guard is a creme color and the body, depending on the light it ranges from a very deep red to a pinkish purple that you can still see the wood under. Does any one know what wood/stain this is?

2. Here's the knobs. One question: Does it require a 9V Battery in the back? If so, it's a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass which is layed out like this...
    #1 (Largest knob) Master Volume
    #2 PU Blend
    #3 Bass/Treble Stack
    #4 Mid-Range
    I believe that's it.

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    A. The neck pup will give you a deeper tone with more low end. The bridge pup tends to give you more upper mids and highs. This is all because of placement, of course.

B. Controls from Fender's site (assuming this is an American Deluxe - somebody please correct me if these are wrong):
    #1 - Master Volume
    #2 - Pan Pot (pup blend)
    3-Band Active EQ with:
    #3(top) - Treble Boost/Cut: +/- 10 db @ 8kHz, a shift in the cut frequency, and about a 2dB slope per octave.
    #4 - Mid Boost/Cut: +10dB, -15dB @ 500Hz, and a wide band slope.
    #3(bottom) - Bass Boost/Cut: +/- 12 db @ 40 Hz, with a 4dB slope per octave.
    The EQ affects both pups at the same time.
    (What bassist4dalord said. :))

C. That color is Midnight Wine if I'm not mistaken. Very pretty.

4. Yes it does use a 9v... I think it is an american deluxe etc.

Seriously 4 is the mid? When that things at max my bass is really loud and highly gainy, at lowest its almost like I'm playing an un-amplified double bass.

Now if 2 is the Pup selector, I assume max is neck, low is bridge.
    That explains a bit on why I get alot of bass distortion out of my amp due to having 2 at max and playing ontop of the pup or a little bit bellow it.

Thanks guys I definatley understand my bass more.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Nice bass, and love the color.
    IMHO, you ought to consider repairing the damaged control knob.

6. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I have the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz and it has been the best investment so far and quite the upgrade from my old Squier p.

7. I must agree, i have one of those $10 starter squire p's.

What is a good site that I can order the replacement knob(s) from? The treble isn't broken though, the knob just disappeared while I was putting on the new gold plated tuners (I accidentally broke one of the original tuners).