Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a little insight would be great!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lowrez, Nov 29, 2004.

1. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    A long long long time ago... just to make me feel old, I had an old Gibson EB(something looked like an SG) bass. I picked it up cheap and tore the hell out of it... I thought it got tossed when I moved from my folks, but apparently they had stored it in the attic... my original plan for it was to put a new fingerboard down on it (fretless) and go from there... how hard would it be to still do this? The original fingerboard is no longer on it, so... a new one is a definite! I am a so-so woodworker... if this is a huge undertaking... is there anyone around to do this reasonably? the rest of the work doesn't frighten me at all...just this dang fingerboard.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    -Make sure that the mating surfaces are clean and flat.

-buy a pre-machined fingerboard from someone like Stew-Mac

-borrow some clamps and yellow glue

-make sure the truss rod is in place and working

-cover the truss rod channel with clear tape

-apply glue and clamp the fb down

-use as many clamps as you can fit in there and use clamping cauls

-keep the fingerboard from sliding around and getting unaligned

-don't get a lined fingerboard (will make alignment problems more noticable)

-let dry overnight and clean up

It's one of the more difficult solidbody bass repairs since the keys are to get the surfaces clean and flat and to keep the thing lined up as you glue and clamp. But it's doable.

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Thanks! Definitely will give it a go... I didn't think to use plain old wood glue... I recall when I pulled the board up I heated it with an iron or something and slid a putty knife under it. The adhesive was going to be my next question! Thanks!