Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a little love for the 6N1P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cabcreaser, Mar 2, 2006.

1. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I have searched and searched and could find no answers to my question, so here it is:

Not counting the A Designs REDDI and Sadowsky SA200, are there any other pieces of gear out there (aimed towards bass) that use this preamp tube.

I have tried a ton of direct boxes and imo the REDDI kills 'em with ease and I have yet to hear the SA200 (my pocketbook is very thankful) but we all know how Tom Bowlus feels.

Is the 6N1P perhaps the most well suited preamp tube for bass products?

2. I am not really familiar with it but since it is a medium mu stage gain, it will not amplify noise as much as a high mu, say, like the 12AX7... The 12AU7 is a great choice but is not generally used in the initial gain stages.
    I know that AC supplied 6V filament tube are far less noisy than their 12V counter parts (radiated electrostatic field)... most preamp use DC so this may not matter.

Anyways, bits and pieces... I need to listen to a REDDI then... :scowl:

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I thought high mu was lower noise... the input voltage noise is the shot noise in the plate current divided by the transconductance. But the only datasheet I could find for the 6N1 was in Chinese, so I couldn't learn much.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I believe the Eden VT-300 also uses the 6N1P. I have the manual (and the head) around here somewhere, and could confirm, if you like. It would make sense, though, as Dolf Koch made both the Eden and the Sadowsky.

Tom.

5. cabcreaser

Feb 12, 2005
    that makes sense because the reddi is completely noise free. From a tone standpoint (in comparison to the other tube direct boxes I have used- the Demeter and Aguilar), it has a presence in the lower mids that is more amplike than the competition.

The Demeter, Aguilar, and (the solid state) Avalon U5 all offer a tremendous bottom and top end, but the REDDI has a nice low midrange presence and natural clarity that just sits wonderfully in a mix without additional eq (in addition to a nice bottom and top end) and without the need to blend in a mic'd amp signal for added presence.

Tom, I didn't realize the Eden VT300 used a 6N1P (perhaps Koch is the first person to realize its potential as a bass preamp tube).

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Not a bad little tube at all, been using it in hi-fi amps for some years. Should be much better in the front end of a preamp, especially if actively loaded to get some gain. Also good in diff stages and driver/phase inverters in poweramps. Likes a bit of anode current.

7. cabcreaser

Feb 12, 2005
    Thanks Dharmabass, nice pdf.

The Reddi has a knob that offers about 16db of gain, so it falls in that vague preamp/di territory.

Tom, I looked up some specs on the Eden VT300 and it looks like they use 3 7025 preamp tubes.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That doesn't sound right. Let me check mine.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The manual doesn't reference the preamp tube types, but as I recall, it was two 12AX7 types (7025's) and one 6N1P. Looks like I'll have to pull it out of the shock rack and yank the hood to be certain. :cool:

10. cabcreaser

Feb 12, 2005
    The only place i found any mention of the preamp tubes online was in the forums section of Eden's website (that is where I got the three 7025 info). If it is convenient for you to check, I would definitely be curious, but do it when it is least bothersome.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That would have been last Monday night, when I took it out of the Road Ready rack and put it in the SUS-4. :meh:

But no problem. I like monkeying around with gear. :D

12. I'll save Tom the trouble. The Eden uses the 6N1P.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks. I was 98.34% certain.

Tom.

14. cabcreaser

Feb 12, 2005
    thanks for all the info.

I guess it just goes to show that all the factors contribute to the overall performance of an amp (seeing as that it sounds like the Sadowsky differs quite a bit from the Eden in spite of Koch's work and the similar preamp tubes).

In relation to the REDDI, I have had some correspondence with the designer of it and he pointed out that the output transformer is completely unique to the REDDI and that it combined with the 6N1P gives the REDDI its sonic character.

This may have been a somewhat tedious thread but I truly appreciate all the info because I am always curious as to what it is that makes some things sound so much better than others. Regardless, I will be curious to see if the 6N1P becomes a more prominent player in the world of bass amplification in the near future.