Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Little Medical Problem Here.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oxblood, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey guys, my girlfriend just came back from the hospital and I need some opinions on the stitching job they did. Some people say leave it alone, some say go back to the hospital and re-stitch it, I personally think it needs to be re-stitched. Anyone know what we should do? This is not a joke.

[​IMG]

2. RunEvilSquirrel

RunEvilSquirrel

Jul 2, 2004
    Definately leave it alone! Those are the most beautiful stitches ive ever seen! Its like art! Send me the limb when it falls off!

3. If it shows signs of infection, go back pronto. Drainage, new/more swelling, pus, redness of skin nearby.

If you're concerned, I'd go to a different hospital. They're more likely to admit someone else's sloppy job than the hospital that did it would admit they did a sloppy job. Does look kind of ugly. I've had a few operations that didn't look that bad.

Where are the stitches, anyway? If there's lots of fatty skin/tissue around that area, that might cause puckering, maybe? Not really sure. If there's trauma to the area and its swollen now, that might make it pucker too until the swelling goes down. Maybe has to be really tight now to still be tight when the swelling goes down? Is that an area where scarring is an issue?

Randy

4. Evilmistress

Evilmistress

Jun 11, 2005
    Its on my calf on the inside in the middle of the leg ,i got a thick wire shot in from cutting the grass... it took two weeks for me to get someone to remove the wire.. and it was two inches from the surface when they finaly found it in there (guess someone didnt pay attention to the films) anyway he said it would be an ugly scare and told me not to remove the covering for two days... well i got curious and i opened it up and at the bottom of it the hole is open and not closed and there is like a 1/4 an inch to a half an inch like i guess roll of skin there its gross they didnt even give me strong enough meds ive been to two hospitals already the first one let some intern poke around in the wrong area then tell me to go find a surgen the next hospital said well take it out and they did these great stiches

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If it's not bleeding and nothing is oozing out of it then leave it alone.

brad cook

6. Evilmistress

Evilmistress

Jun 11, 2005
    the question is.... will it stay looking like that, im not worried about a scar im worried about it being deformed looking

7. That looks like it will leave a nice, ugly scar.. which may be unavoidable, but I have seen better stitching in a Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie.

8. Not to be a wise-ass, but do you have insurance? Don't mean to insinuate they do the absolute least they can get away with if you're not covered by insurance... but that would explain the problem, unfortunately not provide a solution.

The wound may not close if its infected, so be real careful with it. My dad had surgery for colon cancer, the wound got infected, had to be irrigated daily to flush the junk out. Took quite a while to close. Imagine sticking a turkey baster in a hole in your belly to rinse it out. Ugh.

Regarding scarring, some people scar more than others. Both my ACL's are hard to spot. Mine were pink for a good while before they finally faded. See what it looks like 6 mo to a year from now. After its closed, after the stitches are out, after it has healed pretty much, some say vitamin E creams helps prevent scarring. Also avoid tanning it this year, I heard that can cause permanent highlighting of the scar. Next year ought to be ok.

Randy

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When we had my dog fixed the stitch job seemed kind of ugly to us but it ended up leaving a faint scar that's not bad at all. If you're concerned though then go to a doctor.

brad cook

10. ...or DigMe's vet, as he seems to really know his stuff.

Mike

11. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    if the area will have a lot of stretching or movement they will sometimes do what is called a ring stitch. I had this done on the back of my arm just above the elbow, looked a lot like that. If it is infected have it looked at, or if you are uncomfortable have it looked at.

12. Evilmistress

Evilmistress

Jun 11, 2005
    No we have insurence.... and its not infected it was done yesterday. the doctor wont even call me back all he did was yell at me for taking the cover off and looking at it... my other doctor who also did the surgery told me in a day or to i could take a shower and get it wet seems like the both of them did different jobs... i really dont care about a scar..... im scared the skin is gonna stay like that when they (dont know how they will find them in that mess) take the stiches out.... i dont even wanna take a shower cause its so nasty... me and brandon took ten pictures of it if it looks really nasty when it heals im gonna try and sue :mad:

13. Absolutely get it fixed, or at least examined.

14. A general rule:
    If you think you need to go to the doctor, go to the doctor, don't ask a bunch of people on the intarweb.

15. Evilmistress

Evilmistress

Jun 11, 2005
    well doctors appointments cost money.... sometimes if u go because u feel u want to doesnt always means something is wrong and ur just confused..... sometimes its important to ask others their opinion. everyone has been threw many different situations and has something to offer from them.

16. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replys. They really are a great help. Here are some more pics for those interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sometimes the stitches themselves pull the wound into a pucker like that, I think it will smooth out once the stitches are out. Hope so, looks like something out of "The Fly"...

Randy

18. Evilmistress

Evilmistress

Jun 11, 2005
    yeah it is nasty, i make someone else change the cover. it just makes me depressed looking at it lol its like i have a small tied up vagina on my leg (looks kinda like that anyway) :crying:

19. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Lmao, i love my girls sick twisted humor :hyper:

20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    OK, so...as an Ex paramedic that has seen about 6 zillion people stiched and has stiched himself on more than one occaision.....If it's not getting more red...or more swollen...or more painful to the touch..you're PROBABLY ok.

It just looks like you got stiched by Leo Fender and not Roger Sadowsky.

You only have a 10-18 hour window for suture work so...if it's not infected or really problematic...you're probably stuck with it.