1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Little More Fatness - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoffeeLove, Nov 19, 2017.

1. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

Love the way my thumb 5 feels, and it sounds fantastic through the highs and high-mids (I know, generic description), but would love a little more punch.

Have tried numerous EQ settings and various strings, but still no such luck. I get that every instrument will have it' stregths, but just seems like I should be able to get more ooomph out of this thing.

Yes, I have decent amplification. Eden WT400, GB Suttlemax 9.2, Eden D410XLT, GB Noex112T's, and Barefaced Big Twin II.

Any helpful ideas?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    What do you mean by punch? The Thumb is known for being a punchy bass naturally. Maybe you mean more low end thump? Due to the fact that both pickups are so close to the bridge you won't naturally get warm and fat intrinsically. Try working with the onboard EQ or the eq on your amp. I personally like the Diamond BCP-1 compressor pedal for added "weight" to tone. That might be an option.

CoffeeLove likes this.
  3. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

Good thoughts, thanks. Yes, I am probably speaking of fatness or weight, and yes, I have done a ton of eq work to make up for my perception of the lack of it. However, my Stingray 5, P Bass, and Jazz bass all have significantly more fatness even when switched towards bridge pickup.

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    A Diamond compressor will fatten you right up.

CoffeeLove likes this.