1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A little neck help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jazzcaster89, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    hey guys. Picked up this old knock of p bass a while back for 30 bucks. I.T actually has killer tone. Nice string thru body. The truss rod doesn’t move and the action is sky high. Dropped the bridge as low as I.T would go. Down the road I’ll replace the neck. For now, anyone have any home repair methods for shimming the neck that work well? Thanks

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Shimming corrects neck angle, truss rod changes relief. They aren't interchangeable. Which is the problem with the neck?

RSBBass likes this.
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Yep what he said above. If the neck is bowed you will have to find a truss rod fix. Usually applying a small amount of penetrating oil (very small) and removing the nut. Clean up the threads and if necessary use a washer as a spacer for more adjusting room. If it is the angle shims are simple. A bit of a business card at the bottom of the neck pocket is often all it takes. Searches will get you complete details on each.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A strip of paper the thickness of a business works pretty well, but is no substitute for get the truss rod working.
    Put a couple drops of marvel oil down the truss rod threads and let it soak in for a few, find the right size tool to adjust the rod and try bending the neck forward a little while loosening the nut.

EDIT: Ha, I'm late on all counts.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Angel