Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little off topic but

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tjclem, Nov 16, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I bought a 1400 Hartke head and an Ashdown 4 OHM 15" speaker. I want to make a cabinet forthe speaker. I need to make it as light and small as possible to take to open mic jams. Have any of you built cabinets? any hints tips etc.etc.

I think the speaker is like this one.. http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=103

2. You'd definitely get more responses in the Amps Forum...but there you'll run into geniuses who will spew out Thiele parameters, optimal porting characteristics, efficiency and tuning frequency.

What size box does Ashdown put that speaker in? I'm sure some R&D went into its design, so the box is probably suited to the speaker. Use the same size box with the same port size and you should get a good sounding cabinet. If you're looking to just make a really small box, the speaker might not sound so great.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, Amps is better. Moved for ya.

4. that looks like a Jenson Speaker of the Blueline variety, made exclusively for ashdown.

I used to have an ashdown EB 150 112. It was only 37 lbs.

You really want a flite sound cab. They make an awesome 15 in 4ohms, and it is only like 27 lbs.

but you want to make your own. You are going to need the thiele-small parameters and a calculator so you know how big it is going to be.

Tune it to a second order ported design for simplicity. I would tune the enclosure to 40hz or so. But it is going to be a beast for open mic if you make it out of birch ply or even 3/4 " MDF. But don't scrimp on the baffle- at least an inch.

You should ask that Bill Fitzmaurice what to do.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the info...Some strange goings on here. I contacted Ashdown and they got right back to me a real helpful guy.Martin...Stated they don't use a 4 ohm 15" speaker... :eyebrow: ...I haven't paid for it yet and don't intend to the way this is going. I don't have any of the thiele-small parameters either. :rollno: I contacted the seller and forwarded them the note from Ashdown about 6 hours ago so I am giving them a day to mull it over. Tell me about the Flite sound cabinet.......t

6. http://www.flitesound.com/products/default.asp?view=display&pid=25&type=1

expensive but light. i think you have other options. I always wondered if I could make a portable bass cab with those bazooka auto sub enclosures. the auto subs sounded bad, but hereis a tuned molded enclosure to 39hz. So if you could get an old enclosure and somehow trim the external port to the bass guitar driver, it could have potential.

But obviously there are other travel friendly designs. I know that anything over 35 lbs is discouring to walk in with on open mc.

flite sound has been around but changed owners recently. they make expensive stuff. the cabs hit hard and are made out of a high-tech composite material which is strong, light and most importantly, acoustically inert and stiff.

Maybe that little 10 would be ideal.

Another cool enclosure that would be cool is the contra bass combo speaker cab only. But i really do not know if they are sold.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmmmmm
    how 'bout the smallest 15 around with the big sound?
    bag end s15-d - i've used mine at open mics a million times

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    WOW $450 I wish I could but I can't....t

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    save your pennies, you'll be glad you did. :cool:
    FWIW, in that same price range there are lots of small 1x12's that fit the bill as well.