A little poll for needed information on a speech I have to give about school music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 20one, Sep 30, 2003.

1. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    1. Are you or have you been involved in a school music program? If so, which type of program?

1A. If so, how well organized was your particular program? (funds/equipment/instructors/etc)

2. Do you feel that public school place less emphasis on music programs as opposed to other extra-curricular activities such as sports?

3. Have you ever been involved in a music program that has been cancelled due to budget cuts or your schools need/desire to place their funds towards other programs?

4. If you have childen, are they involved (or wanting to be involved) in their school's music program?

5. If your school's music program was to be cancelled, would you care? If so, what would you try to do to prevent it from being cancelled?

6. Do you feel that some form of music program or music education should be part of your school's core curriculum?

You can pretty much tell what this speech is supposed to be about... any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  3. 1. Yes, Jazz Bands, Marching Band, Choirs, and Musicals(theatre).

2. Absolutley. Everybody supports football and other sports. You are usually a social outcast if you are in the band. Even the teachers would cut you slack if you were in sports.

3. No, but I have been in music programs that were student only funded.

5. I don't go to school anymore, but If I found out that my old high school's music program was going to be cancelled I would go to the rally.

6. No, but I believe some form of activity is good for a person.
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    1. no
    2. n/a (public = none goverment funded in England by the way ie private).
    3. no, just aimed at a closer group of people ie those taking music classes.
    4. no
    5. n/a
    6. kind of, I played recorder in year 3+4, it was compulsory but I didnt take it on. I later picked up bass at 16, unrelated though to be honest. So I'd have to say no, I feel theres more important things to include at school.

5. 1. Yes, I studied in high school and 8 years at UCSF. Marching band, choir, and Performing Jazz Band for both schools. 1-B. All instruments were supplied in high school, college we used our own.

2. My experience was equal in music and sports, well funded.

3. No

4. N/A

5. I would offer my time to those who wanted to learn.

6. Yes, all should have access to a music program it helps your mind to develope sooner!

Let us know how it goes!

;) Treena
  6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    1. Senior Orchestra, Junior Orchestra (i help out with organisation), jazz band, and i run a club for "alternative" musicians where i help younger kids learn songs they like on guitar/bass/drums etc.

2. I go to an independant school so bleugh.

3. A couple weeks ago i thought my alt club would have to be disbanded because we couldn't find enough amps but then i was told that there were 5 in some cupboard. Indeed.
    Our music department has a huge budget and i've been told that they'll order everything i need, which is great.

4. n/a

5. Of course i would care. I spend most of my free time at school participating in some kind of musical activity.....if they did cancel, i would ask why, and if it was a good enough reason, leave it. However if they cancelled my alt club because i refuse to wear winter shirts in the winter (which has been threatened) i would protest protest protest.

6. In my school, class music lessons are mandatory until year 9 (8th grade). After that you can take it as a gcse subject if you want too. I think that this is a good enough arrangement.
  7. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    thx for the replies guys... funny thing about this speech is that I'm giving it for the president of the college I'm attending, the same president that cancelled the music program I was in as part of my scholarship lol
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA