Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little question about amps in general..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Feda, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hey,
    I just came back from pratice and I got the chance to try out a Hughes & Kettner BC118 Cabinet. I was totally blown away by the sound! I can't remember what amp it was though...

My question is; are there amps similiar to this on the marked that come at cheaper prices?? Is there away off telling, just by looking at the specs that a cabinet will sound like this and that??

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Nope.
    Sorry, but you can look at specs all day, and even if they did accurately tell you the frequency response and power handling and everything else, the closest you can get to looking at the tone will be a diagram (forget the name, not technical here) where the line goes along with dB on the Y axis, and frequency on the X.

But even these are made irrelevant when you use different basses, amps, bassists and ears.

3. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    i just want to say....i want a bc115 so badlyyyyyyy

4. GlennStoneOcean

GlennStoneOcean

Nov 25, 2004
    Ireland
    Your amp is just as important as your bass. If you like the sound of an amp and it's pricey, it's pricey for a reason. It’s the 2nd biggest part of your sound. Did you find a bass that you loved and then get something else because it was cheaper?

That’s my standing on it.

5. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    GlennStoneOcean : You're right about that, but one has to be realistic..
    One little question : Since I play a 5string warwick (tuned low B), should i get an 18inch? Or would let's say, 4x10 do the job? I like warm, warm, deep sound:) I play jazz...

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's very hard to generalize about that. it's easy to start a flame war about what diameter speakers can and cannot handle lower frequencies. all i'll say is that depending upon the drivers and cabinet design, you can find many different configurations that will handle a 5 string and produce the warm sound you are looking for.

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'm a big believer of my older Sonic 18TL(EV loaded). www.sonicspeaker.com It sounds tight, focused and Big, with great high end (which Warwicks are crisp too). I used to have an Acoustic 301(CV 18) and an Eden 18xl-(wooly), but the Sonic impresses me always.

8. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks for replies guys!
    Anyone know of some good articles about amps and what I should be thinking about when getting one? I need answers to questions like : What to look for in a bass head so that I know that it can properly handle the cabinet and vica versa..

Thanks!

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    any head can power any cabinet (as long as there aren't impedance issues). it's just a matter of how well.

do a search in the amps forum for "ohms faq" if you have questions about impedance issues.

it all depends on how loud you need to be and what tone you're after. every time you double your wattage you'll only get a 3 dB increase in volume (which is generally considered the smalles increase a human can hear). even so having extra "headroom" is a good thing. however, when using a head that puts out more wattage than your cabinet is rated for, you need to be careful not to overdrive the cabinet. even so, lots of players (myself included) do that all the time.

to me, the minumim amp you shold get would be one that puts out 200 watts into the impedance cab you're using. that cab should be at least a 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15. (the shroeder 1210 would also fit into this category, as would a 4x8 and some of the unusual configurations by EA and accugrove. (although there are a lot of gigs where a 100-150 watt combo works really well)

even better would be an amp that put out at least 400 watts into the impedance you use, and two cabinets of the type mentioned above, or some of the larger cabs by accugrove, or cabs like the bergie 322 or some of the better 3x10 cabs out there. I prefer having two small cabs as i can bring just one to small gigs.

the ultimate (to me) is an amp that puts out at least 400 watts into an 8 ohm load and two 8 ohm cabs that can handle that wattage on their own and are sensitive enough to handle most gigs on their own when pushed by 400 watts. bringing both when you need to.

10. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks alot for your reply! I'm reading the FAQ and it's really helpful! Thanks again :)