Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little question about Lightwave-based basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Foo-O-Matic, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Foo-O-Matic

Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Israel
    I wanted to know if you can produce a woody, Bridge-ish, Jaco-like tone out of these?
    I've hear the samples at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.symeguitars.com/gallery.htm (Syme basses)
    and some others too, and it's mellow and beautiful, and I like it, but I also like that woody-bridgy and a somewhat punchy tone.
    So can you produce that kind tone out of them?

2. IME, my Zon LW was a very unique instrument with a very unique tone. Although I liked it for what it was, it was not a "traditonal" sounding instrument.

I was not able to get anything close to the "Jaco" tone I get from about any bass with standard jazz pickup spacing.

Maybe in more capable hands.

Jeff

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i also tried to get a jaco punch a la bridge jazz pickup and just couldn't do it... beautiful huge pure bass, but no grit and i needed that " jaco" tone...

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That's strange; I felt like I got a good amount of grit/growl...but maybe that's just me. Did yours have midrange control?

Marshall

5. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I have a Lightwave Sabre. There isn't any Jaco sound happenin' with that bass. It will blow you away with it's ability to sound like an upright though.

6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Honestly, I'm not even sure what a "Jaco" sound is exactly, since I don't own a single album of his :rollno: , so I should shut up now.

Marshall

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    go RIGHT NOW and get the first cd- Jaco Pastorius, sit back and get ready for your life to change- if it is anything less than astounding, i will buy it from you, i can always use another copy!

8. Foo-O-Matic

Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Israel
    one big +1 :)
    And thanks for the input, im off the lightwave idea, at least for now. altho its sound is very clean and clear, I definitely need that bridgy grit/growl.

9. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Ok ok I'll get it!

Actually, I almost bought it this weekend (on vinyl), until a 10 cd Charlie Parker set caught my eye...

Marshall

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    BIRD 10 cd set...? ok, i'll forgive you this time... ;)

11. If you like the first Jaco CD, go out and get Shadows and Light (Live) by Joni Mitchell (get the concert DVD). She had THE band on that recording - Jaco, Pat Methany, Lyle Mays, etc.

Jeff