1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little question about pups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alfredpunkjazz, Aug 28, 2007.

1. What is the real difference between humbucker pickups and soapbar pickups????

2. nobody?

(just to clarify, I did use the search function, but I am here asking because it is not really clear)

3. Maybe you'd have better luck searching or posting in the pickups forum. ;)

4. duh! my mistake...

Sorry guys, if there is any mod watching, please, delete...

:smug:

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    You have posted in the wrong section. A Mod will undoubtedly move your post.

To answer you question a hum-bucking PUP is a transducer with two coils wound in opposite directions causing hum cancellation.

A soap bar is Humbucker with a certain size and shape resembling...well a soap bar.

6. Soap bar refers to shape only. It could be a hum bucker or a single coil. You have to check the manufacturers specs.
    Generally hum buckers can have coils side by side, stacked one on top of the other, or end to end (split coil). Stacked and end to end are common in Jazz pickups to keep the magnetic field narrow and to fit stock routs.

Now hum bucker sized also refers to the shape. More used in the guitar world as in P-90s, soap bar, dog ear and hum sized.

MM