1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little sadowsky thread...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArwinH, May 5, 2006.

1. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    In a recent thread somebody had stated that a new sadowsky they recieved was very much like his other passive fender jazz basses, jsut clearer and cleaner.

For some reason I had always viewed the sadowsky's as designed around the jazz bass design but nuique in terms of sound. It might have been the preamp and the blend knob, as opposed to the classic vvt, or just the design in general.

I know that my warwick does NOT do a jazz bass sound, although it has j bass pickups and neck dimensions.

I have played a sadowsky before, but it was before I was very familiar with the jazz bass in general. NOw, I'm in love with everything about the jazz bass, besides the idiosyncrancies in my fender...the hum, the quality control, etc.

So, does a sadowsky to a great, funky jazz bass sound. I'm thinking me'shell, jaco, and Marcus?

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

In a word. YES!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One of the reasons i have Gas for a MS5 is for that marcus sound.

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Does anybody on the board have a sadowsky with vv as opposed to a blend control?

I've really been enjoying the daul volumes as opposed to a blend control.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you want more of a Fender J-bass sound, get the single coil pickups. And if you want the marcus tone, get a UV70 instead of the MS.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    +1

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not sure i dig 9" radius.

No matter, theres no sadowsky in my immediate future anyway, just a drop of drool on days when I watch too much Marcus dvd.

8. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I am still on the fence about selling by Sadowsky because I would like a more fender-ish passive sound and then have the option for the preamp when I want to bring down the walls. So my plan for next week is to put some mid 70's Fender Jazz pickups, that were on an old bass of mine, in my Sadowsky and see how it sounds. I thought about ordering the Sadowsky single coils and then I remembered that I still had these pickups. I'll do a before and after recording with the same set of strings and settings so you guys can hear the difference between the humcanceling pickups and single coils, even though they won't be the Sadowsky single coils.

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, i prefer single coils greatly to humcancelling pickups. not just sadowskys, any really.

if you don't dig sadowskys check out the singles coils before you decide

10. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Excellent!!

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I think you'd love one if you are really into the jazz bass thing. I think of Sadowsky as the perfect jazz bass with the best preamp you can buy, IMO

Rob

newfamily.

12. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    It breaks my heart to think that 3/4 of that beautiful family is being neglected at any given moment.

13. polo515

polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    NYC
    Rob's "family" shot makes me want to trade in my 2 real life sons. I'm very jealous...
    When I seek that "Marcus" sound, my UV70 does a better job than my '75 Jazz with an outboard Sadowsky preamp. But, the preamp made me much happier with the Fender, giving me much more tone shaping. I don't have the VTC, not yet, anyway.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was going to put the VTC in my MS5, but after listening to the playback of a TV gig I did, I've decided that I don't really need it. I was also going to trade it for a rosewood boarded Met 5, but now, I will not part with her.

15. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Who's marcus miller?

ok ok, I just kidding. If you want Marcus Miller, look to the 70s style metro basses lluke UV-70 or somesuch name.

16. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Don't forget how much of that tone is in the fingers of those players, so you could add, "in truth, no PLAYER can do them all 100%, either".

To those that say they prefer the sound of single-coil pickups, I'd say I think most everyone would prefer the sound of single-coils, IF they didn't have to deal with the 60 cycle hum. Single-coils have great character, growl, and mojo, but there are many situations that the noise is intolerable. The lighting in many clubs (and studios, which is even a bigger problem) can send some ridiculous buzzing through your bass. Sure, it humcancels and doesn't buzz if you've got both single-coils in a center pan, but then you lose that out-of-phase juicy sound that's so appealing.

The quality of humcanceling J-style (or JJ) pickups has improved a lot in past years, enough that it's worth the tradeoff to me. Ugly buzzing through my amp is a part of vintage bass history that I'd rather leave in the past.

Just my .02.

17. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm really intrigued now. When I was talking about nailing those three tones, I guess I jsut mainly meant nailing those three jazzbass-type tones. My hands always vary the tone alot. For me though, I can get a me'shell ton with the neck pickup backed off a bit while palying lightly over the bridge pickup. I can play harder and get rmoe of the jaco growl, or run the pickups both full, slap in front of the neck pickup and get a sweet marcus sound. This is all with my mim 60's classic jazz. I want a flatter radius, more solid hardware (bridge, tuners and electronics plate), no electronics related hum and buzz, lower action without buzz (better fretwork), lighter weight, and a stiffer, unfinished neck. I love the tone of the bass though, but I doubt it's anything mroe than a great jazz bass sound. If the sadowsky does a great jazz bass sound, which by all accounts it seems to do....I'm in for some trouble.

18. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Most of the time, I'm fine with just turning down my volume control between songs. Every once in a while you get a really nasty room, then you're stuck with a 50/50 blend, but most of the time, and with Sadowsky-quality grounding and shielding ... its no big deal and the difference in tone and note dynamcis is really dramatic to me. To each his own!

I run a J-bass somewhere near center all the time anyway, and the increace in noise is gradual as you move away from center.

With this sadowsky, sitting in front of my computer, I actually questioned whether these were single coils. I had to walk around to try to find some noise, and eventually I did. A little. Shielding and star grounding helps A LOT!!!

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    One more thing ... Me'shell has used a wide variety of J-bass tones over the years. Everything from a '70's jazz with flats to a modulus VJ with crispy roundwounds. I love all of her tones, and I love all kinds of J-basses :bassist:

20. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    +1

Single coils have great tone, and good shielding helps a lot!

Both single and dual coils have advantages, and that's why they co-exist happily in the marketplace.

As far as a difference in dynamics go, I've never seen a study done, but that's probably a topic for another forum.

Also, +1 that Me'Shell is an awesome player.