Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little something for those in Detroit/Michigan

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I though this was kind of neat. I did that Google thing and found this here picture of yee old Tiger Stadium how it looks today.

Kind of depressing.
    [​IMG]

Big mistake they made by closing her down. Death to "Comerica Park"!

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Gah, that's disgusting.

I was at the last game at Tiger Stadium. Just thought i'd throw that out there. :cool:

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I like Comerica except for the fence dimensions, it's a cool updated park, if only we had a major league team? :eyebrow: On the old stadium, man, you think they could do something, they've had a number of proposals, one was kinda of a Tiger Museum and a softball park. I thought it was a cool idea, but as usual the proposal didn't have Illitchs name on it and their was no campaign money in the proposal envelop for the Mayor so it's not going anywhere. :D

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    You keep hearing rumors about he wrecking ball hitting the stadium soon, but it's going to be years before anything is even close to being offical.

On that though I think they would be foolish to tear it down. It's such a historic ballpark, basically unchanged since the 1930's. I don't get how there are hundreds of other abandoned buildings around that are bigger then Tiger Stadium, yet they want to tear it down first. They can do SOMETHING with it. Have the league take it over, give tours, turn it into a public park, ect. ect. It really is sad.

Comerica park is alright for a NEW ballpark, but people in Detroit deserve better. They could have designed it more like the old stadium except updated. But instead we get a rather generic modern ballpark with stupid looking statues of tigers and baseball bats on the outside, and a pointless ferris wheele on the inside.

The only decent feature of Comerica park is the skyline view. Of course you have to take into consideration that most of the skyline is vacant buildings.......

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The mafia will never let it happen. Don't worry too much son.

-Mike

6. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I did my doctorate in Ann Arbor in the 1980s, and went to one game there. A pretty dodgy neighborhood in my opinion ... has that changed? When did they close it?

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Actually the neighborhood has gotten worse since the closing of the ballpark, which pretty much fuled the economy there.

Comerica park isn't in a much better neighborhood. It's right downtown, but it's still pretty crummy and a few blocks down the road it's even worse.

8. If you're going to a game. I wouldn't recommend going anywhere outside of the area of the stadium. It gets pretty dark...

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Even in the 80s it was pretty scary. All of the buildings were boarded up, and occassionally you would see a fire in an oil drum warming up the bums through a window. The only people on the street were crazies ... guys huddled in the gutter talking to themselves.

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That's Detroit for ya.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Actually the neighborhood around Comerica is a growing decent place, you've got Hockeytown, Ford Field, State Theater, Fox Theater, Fifth Avenue, DAC, and new Condos going up. I wouldn't call it rundown. Both that and the old stadium neighborhood are much better then the 80's. Theirs some great live music bars around the old stadium like the Laugerhouse. I mean I can be as down on Detroit as anybody, but the new stadium district is pretty cool, and probably one of the most vibrant night life areas in the mid-west. It's not quite Chicago, but it's a far cry from Detroit in the 80's.