1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little tip I noticed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    If you're playing a single one note groove, the secret to playing it completely crisp and clean is to use your pinky on the left hand to fret. Even if it's a little awkward, the difference is huge. The reason for this is that it allows you to rest all other fingers on the string while playing, and as soon as the pinky lifts up, the note is instantly muted with zero harmonics. I find when I try to do this with my index, there's a little bit of harmonics or other noise for a short bit. Try it!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I mute with my pinky and still pluck with index and middle fingers, it is far more natural and much more practical. Just put your pinky out a little and rest it near the bridge, put a slight angle in your hand if necessary.

I recommend you try it.

3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Wouldn't it make more sense to play (if only 1 finger) with your index and mute with the other 3? Makes alot more ergonomic sense

Not to mention pinkys are prone to injury when isolated

4. I believe op is refering to
    The fretting hand

5. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Haha im silly

6. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    ...Oops. Can't believe I didn't clarify that.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I don't understand why you can only do this with the pinky. I can properly play accented/ staccato notes with the slight-finger-lift-mute even with the under finger. Just takes practice.

8. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Part of the "standard" (I'm not saying this is the only one) good technique is to try to avoid lifting your fingers off the string when changing positions/notes (obviously does not apply for open strings). Its sometimes not taught but it helps to avoid the problem you are having without having to use the pinky. In other words, instead of lifting up your finger completely off the string when switching notes you sort of slide your fingers.

And besides, if you want to use that method you point out, it would perfectly work well with the middle finger since your index can still be used for muting.

9. 20YearNoob

20YearNoob

Mar 29, 2012
    I think he's referring the possibility that a string stopped in only one place (index finger) can ring harmonics and he specifically pointed out 'no harmonics'. Maybe?

10. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    But then you end up with that anooying zippery sliding sound as you move. That depends on the strings though

11. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Or you could play with 2-finger right hand technique. The index plays the note, the middle stops the note, then plays the next note, index stops it, plays the next, etc. whether the same notes or changing, the right hand starts and stops every note. That way, no matter which finger your fretting hand is on, there is no releasing the note while it is still vibrating, and no fret buzz or messiness at all.

12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    +100

With enough practice, one can achieve enough strength and technique to be able to have "equal" abiltiy with any fretting finger.

13. Odia

Odia

Oct 20, 2008
    Billings, MT
    Sometimes it depends on which direction I'm going if I change that 'one' note periodically.