A little too much Monster??

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kanonfodr, May 27, 2012.

1. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I think its fine, you have to put on a show (which I admit, I am working on myself)

2. You gotta explain the drummer - he is the confusing part, lol.

3. Agreed. What's up with that?

IMO you looked like you were just getting into the music. I don't think you were being too crazy. If anything you needed to motivate the girl guitar player to move around a bit herself!

4. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp

Apr 13, 2011
    Olympia, WA
    Looked ok to me, made the rest of them look silly cause they dont move :)
    Says the bass player who shocked the drummer last time we played by moving!

5. Jay is playing a Zendrum midi controller: http://www.zendrum.com/index.html . He uses the MIDI to control a Roland TD-9 module and it all comes out through a Hartke amp. Pretty cool stuff, a drummer with a real volume knob!!!

And Jen, the rhythm guitarist was moving around a lot later in the set whereas I was losing energy so she did start moving :)

Peace,
    Greg

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I don't think you were out of control, well, certainly not as out of control as THIS guy! (keep watching, the fun starts at around 1:35 :D)

Oh, and you're singer's got some voice!

7. should have given a couple to your guitarist. nice bass - I play one just like it. starting to see more working players using the stilletto 5.

8. that must be the modern futureman controller?

9. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Dude, nothing wrong with you. rest of the band, aside from that rather hot singer, (not sure about the pink hair, but the rest of her looked really good :p ) looked pretty lame.

dug the sound though. Had a nightwish feel to it.

Sadly that singer isn't with them anymore, but i'm digging your sound.

10. You were actually the best part of the show. The other members, other than the singer, seemed to be forced at gunpoint to play the songs. You looked like you enjoyed it and the crowd will see that and get into it more. Rub off on the other members so you guys don't look like such noobs on stage.

11. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    IME that doesn't really work. Some people just never will have much stage presence, no matter how much you lead by example and they think you're awesome. I've been there a few times. In the worst cases, the audience starts thinking that you play better than those people because they look stiff and stressed, like they're struggling with their parts.

There has to be an effective way for more wooden band members to learn stage presence - maybe an acting class? I put together a little instructional video, but it's hard to get people to actually follow the instructions, you know?

That's not to say that you should fire your shy bandmates. I've seen shy people suddenly break out of their shells, acquire stage presence during a specific song, and keep it for the rest of their lives, but I have no idea how to make that transformation happen.

12. Dude, that guy has serious moves!! I wish I could be dancing around like that while playing :) :)

Awesome vid!

Peace,
    Greg

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Drums and keys don't need to be static.

I assume everyone here remembers the Korean drummer:

15. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Man, that just made my day, I laughed out loud for many minutes...thank you!!!

16. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Dude! Im doing that at my next gig! :hyper::bassist:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021