Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little upright bass issue.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by LJFryk, Jan 4, 2013.

1. LJFryk

LJFryk

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm new to upright bass (on both electric and upright I'm self taught) so please excuse my ignorance. I've noticed that when I playing (depending on what surface) my end-pin seems to slide across the floor leaving me to stop playing and adjust. Is it a mistake on my part or is it the surface I'm playing on; perhaps just a problem with the end-pin? If so, is there any way to fix this? Thanks a lot.

2. artfahie

artfahie

Dec 14, 2007
    Bar Mills, Maine
    You seem to be confused with the concept of a walking bass!

3. Register_To_Disable

4. JDBassist51

JDBassist51

Sep 30, 2012
    Sherman NY
    It certainly could be the surface you're playing on, and/or the angle the bass is at while playing. If you are seated when you play, the Xeros Bass Endpin Anchor works great.

John

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    It's surely the materials involved in both your end pin and the surface your bass is standing on. Most hard surfaces work best with a rubber stopper over the end pin spike.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    If you have a rubber tip, it may have hardened with age, but these are easily replaced. If you need more traction, consider a rubber crutch tip from the drug store.

7. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Putter Smith uses a tennis ball.

8. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Yeah, I buy cane tips (they usually come in a two pack) then put a small washer on the spike so it wont punch through (you can build it out with Duct tape or whatever so the tip stays on) and its good for a few years.