Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A LONG SHOT-OLD EDEN VT(valve tech)SERIES

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Aug 19, 2005.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Anybody out there familiar technically or otherwise with the Eden VT series hybrid bass amps??
    This is a long shot and will most likely find it's way to the bottom of the page in short order, but it's worth a shot.
    So I have this old VT-25, the one with the pre-amp designed by Demeter, it's been in the garage so long I forgot why I stopped using it, but it must have been because it stopped working. I picked-up a couple of tubes yesterday and tried it out, it does not work. Not going to get to specific, but does anybody have one of these(either the VT-25 or VT-40) that was sent back to the factory for upgrades. This one was and when I was inspecting it last night I noticed some "strange modifications" inside. I am probably going to end up taking this amp in but I don't really know who is qualified and if Eden could still offer any support on this unit. It was a really great sounding amp and I'd like to get it back up and running again.
    Thanks-any and all PM's welcome.
    LPB

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'd really like to hear what happened to yours, because I owned a VT .40 for six years. If it hadn't done the very same thing to me as it did you, I'd probably be using it today. Unfortunately this is a common occurence in these models. I guess there must've been some flaw in the design, no exactly sure what though. One morning, I turned it on and.....nothing. Lights but no sound. It just upped and died on me one day.

Then, through a series of unfortunate events, and after opening it up and re-soldering EVERYTHING inside, hanging tubes, etc., I had to send it out for repairs, but it came back damaged by the courier and never sounded the same after that. :bawl:

As far as the modifications you mentioned, Eden was offering a mod which consisted of a small modular upgrade; that increased the low end and made the amp more gig-worthy. I don't know if this is what you mean, because it shouldn't really be that noticeable visually speaking.

IMO the best sounding piece of equipment Eden has ever produced (better by far than their new stuff) and I really hope you can get it working again because they are wonderful little units. Good Luck! ;)

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Thanks for the reply!! It was a great sounding amp!!
    The upgrade I had done involved drilling some air holes in the top and/or bottom and adding a huge heat sink(sp?) to the left side, I really don't know what they did inside. When I went to blow-out the guts and change the tubes I notices four wires had been clipped from one of the smaller boards and there were four spades on the front eq board that looked like they had something connected to them at one time. The power light came on fine and there was a small red and a small green light that came on inside on the main power board. The small EQ lights on the front of the unit were quite dim and flickering slightly, with the tubes out those lights brightened-up normally. I tried running a seperate tube pre-amp into the effects return(post eq) and also tried running it into the regular input to boost the signal a big, but still nothing. The pre-amp tubes did not even get warm or fire at all...
    HMMMM :scowl:

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Hmmm...strange...you say the tubes were out and the lights were on normally...wow...I haven't got a clue what that could mean. :confused: That does sound similar to what mine was doing. I'm sorry but it was such a while back but I'm trying to remember...and I am by no means technically minded, but I believe the EQ lights were very dim on mine as well, but it would change if I turned the unit off and on again.

In my case I had to call the distributer and see if they could help. I ended up talking to a tech in Quebec for about two hours, just talking about the amp, women, and pretty much everything else that needs maintanence! He was VERY interested in buying the amp outright but I knew what I had. These units are highly sought after. He then suggested that it may be a bad solder on one of the tube sockets. that wasn't the case with mine, but maybe you could take a look?

Whatever you do, do not sell it!

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    The Eden forum would be a great resource for this:

www.eden-electronics.com/forum

I'm sure the folks will have thoughts/opinions/suggestions, and Lane will surely help out, and he's a phone call from David.

Here's hoping you can bring her back to life!

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Eden was going to be my next stop, I wasn't aware of the forum. I'll give it a run. I might have figured out there was a forum anyway, but you never know, this is why I love TB.

Many thanks, I'll post any progress I have.
    LPB