Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Long Time Coming

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by theboognish, May 8, 2004.

1. Mr. Watt,
    Quite a while back, I posted here to ask your advice about making my own bass cabinets. I just thought I'd give you an update: I built two cabinets, using an "untuned port" design that a guitar-player friend hipped me to. One cabinet has two 10 inch woofers with two 10 inch ports, and the other has an 18 inch sub with a rectangular port at the bottom. I used 3/4 inch plywood throughout (felt like the old days building skate ramps...) and stained 'em with a redwood stain, to make 'em look as much like furniture as possible. The things are pretty enormous (about six and a half feet tall when stacked) but they sound good, and the total price, with materials, was only about 300 bones, so that's nice. There are some pics on my band's website, www.thetransmissions.com, if you'd like to check 'em out. Anyhoo, thanks again for the help, and I look forward to the next opportunity I get to see you play.
    Thanks,
    Josh Solberg