Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A longer P-Bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tualatin, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm thinking if I found a longer neck (39), I would get a better response and controlable sound from my low string(tuned down A,D,G,C). Right now its way too loose even with a 130. Are there any necks available that might help?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Without crushing all your hopes and dreams...no. It'd be rare to find a 35" scale 4 string replacement neck that fits your P-body. 39" scale is impossible. Knuckle Guitars makes a 39" scale 5, but certainly not replacement necks at that scale.

-Eric.

P.S. - Get a set of 5 string heavys. 135 at least.

3. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Have a look at the Novax site, the company that invented the fanned fretlayout. They have a replacementneck for Fenders.

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    In my meanderings toward the 39" scale I did a 36" bolt on for a 56 RI P bass.

It sounded good at B but not what I wanted at A, and it dove like a deep sea diver. If you want to go as long as a 39" scale length and want someone to do a neck for you be prepared to do a mod to the body to extend the horn or the neck dive will be worse than my little experiment.

Hint; you'll want the upper horn/bout to be close if not at the 12th fret for proper balance. As well you might want to give a .140 or a .145 (as high as a .150 or .155 if you can find one - they're out there) a go with the A on the bass you've got - you should be able to get singles at that gauge. I found it wasn't as articulate as I wanted, but it was nearly the right tension.

Edit; extending the scale length would do exactly what you hope it would - it will give you more tension with a smaller gauge string which gives you closer/lower action and more articulation.

Best of luck with your mods/hunt and I would love to be kept informed on your progress.

5. You could always do what Tim of Rage, Audioslave does. In an interview he says he now buys left handed necks and turns them upside down and instals them. (This way his low B string has to travel further to the turning key, thus increasing tension). Not sure how well this really works, but its worth a shot I guess.

6. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    This is a misnomer IME - longer length between the nut and tuner will give a tight string a bit (and I mean a very LITTLE bit) of a looser feel but it will not increase the tension of a loose string.

7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    dude, just get an 150 " string like a conklin snakeskin, should get really nice and tight tuned to A, I think i wont overbear the neck.

8. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks, I'll go with the thicker string route first and see how that goes. Besides Conklin, are there any other manufacturers' that offer single strings that thick?

9. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    A bolt on Novax Nex, and the Conklin Snakeskin 150 looks like the ticket. Thanks again.

10. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I don't think you'll find anything close to that. I've never heard of a 39 scale bass, let alone a fender mock-up. But then, I've never heard of anyone tuning that low, either

11. Have you considered a compromise on your tuning. Go for BEAD and use the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set, with your existing neck.

If nothing else, this will be relatively cheap to check out.

12. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    That's what I've been trying for the past half year, but my guitar player is dead set on tuning to "A".
    .135 D'addario is the thickest I could find in the local stores, so you can imagine my smile after finding snakeskins.

13. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    You can get .140's and .145's as singles if you are willing to use GHS or D'Addario. At least both are available at retail around here (Seattle).