A look inside a hollow jazz bass !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 24, 2009.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Howdy Friends

This is a sneak peak inside a hollow jazz 6 string bass ! This is an ash body. hollowjazz.jpg

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    :eek:

Who's making it?

Will it be green? :bag:

3. oh nice, that should give it a great sound! fretless? green?

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Looks sweet!
    Color used as a subliminal message!

5. MAJOR METAL

Well of course it will be green ! Greenburst to be exact.

6. MAJOR METAL

Michael Dolan. :)

7. MAJOR METAL

Should I ask to go a little more hollow further into the horns ?

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    How are you gonna deal with the neck dive?

9. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Did you see how Music Man did the hollow body on the 25th Anniversary guitar and bass?

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That would correctly be termed a semi-hollow.

Interesting idea!

And it appears to me that if the bss neck-dives, it will be quite easy to pull part off the pickguard and add a bit of weight in one of the cavities....unless you're planning to put a veneer top on it, in which case I'd add a back-side electronics-type access which would allow weight placement.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would probably not do it. Having a strap pin and screw on it, a little extra wood won't hurt a thing. Not that you're going to be throwing it around or anything.

One was that could be done is what they did on my Reverend 5L. Those have light bodies, so they put a weight in the body inder the pickguard, right next to where the bridge mounts. Just enough to make it balance right.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Will hollowing out under the strings have any structural implications? I can see having hollow wings, but is there a danger in being too hollow in what I would think is a key structural area?

13. Subscribed! :)

14. I'd forgotten about this thread. Did you get the bass yet?

15. MAJOR METAL

about 3 weeks to go ! :hyper:

16. Wow, cool! The longest 3 weeks in the world, I bet. :D

17. MAJOR METAL

Excited is an understatement. ;)

18. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I would contend that it is even more correctly termed a "chambered" body.

"Semi-hollow" bodies are essentially hollow body instruments with thin, resonant tops, backs, and sides fomed from separate pieces of wood, and a solid centerpiece that the neck and bridge attach to. Eg., Gibson EB-2, Gibson Les Paul Signature (aka Jack Casady), Guild Starfire, etc.

As contrasted with "chambered" bodies which are essentially thick solid body instruments that have been routed out and then capped with a thin(ner) top.

Of course, this all presumes that the nomenclature from electric guitars carries over to electric basses.

19. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Any more progress pix?

20. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Another way to solve the potential neck-dive problem is to make the upper horn (with the strap mount at the end) longer, as in this chambered Karl Hoyt. This bass is very lightweight but balances perfectly. (Ironically, I acquired this from Trevorus in trade for the Reverend to which he refers. This pic was taken by him before the trade; it now sports a pair of Big Singles):

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like extending the horn is an option in your case....

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021