Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a lot of questionsabout power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henny, Nov 28, 2002.

1. i run 2 8 ohm cabs, a 15 and a 4 10. currently they are powered by a yamaha p1600 fed buy a bass pod pro. This gives me only 160 watts a side. I need more power. Lots more.

Before i got the 15, I used to run the yamaha bridged into the 4 10 and got 400 watts, but the amp wont bridge into 4 ohms, so time for a new amp.

I really like the idea of the peavy DPC 1400X. it's 1400 watts @ 4 ohms, very light and only 1 ru high which would leave me one spare for a toy, like a 31 band eq or a wireless system, but i digress. That would be 1400 watts bridged into 4 ohms which would be heaps. any idea how much they go for new?

Next dilema. The guys at my music store encouraged me to take home a yamaha p4500 for the weekends gigs. I was thinking this would be overkill but alas it just whet my appetite. this is the same series of amp i have now just a few models up and still wont bridge into 4 ohms. but i did. and loved it. based on their other specs it should have been in the vicinity of 2500 watts!

now thats way more power than most people would think nesessecary but the cabinets came alive. i wasn't turning up to full power obviously (for the neighbours sake) but everything seemd so articulate.
    Does this make any sense? am i really getting any more headroom by having a bigger amp and not turning it up so much?

Also I'm in australia which severely limits my range of brands to choose from. (oh how i would love to try an MTD; sorry wrong forum). The guys in the shop were telling me about alto amps. anyone heard of them?

finally anyone know enough about yamaha amps to know whether it' s a bad idea to run it bridged at 4 ohms even when it says not to? bear in mind i don't want to run it anywhere near flat out?

is 2000+ watts excessive? (i play rock/ top 40 covers buy the way)

2. Won't 2000w exceed the power ratings for your cabs?

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    If you bridge it into 4 ohms and it burns up, you're out of luck.

I have no idea if that amp can handle it, but given it's not rated at that load I wouldn't do it.

2000w isn't really excessive, because it's only 10dB more than 200w. Some speakers are that much louder than others.

Try the p4500 in stereo - that'll still be 450w per side. I imagine that will sound better than 160w/side. See if that's good enough for you. If it's not, I'd go for a bigger amp that *is* rated at 4 ohms bridged (or is more powerful at 8 ohms per channel).

4. These amps (I've been told) go for around $900 street price. You might want to look at the Stewart World 2.1. 2 rack space 17 lbs. and will bridge into 4 ohms at 2100 watts. QSC plx 1200 Around 600.00 1200 watts into 4 ohms. Carvin DPC1000 $369 1000 watts into 4 ohms. I use one and like it. From what I understand, the Yamaha is a fine amp with low distortion and good sound. But, if it isn't rated int0 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms bridged than it will probably over heat if you bridge it into 4 ohms and drive it hard.
    Hope this helps.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    What ever you get, I wouldn't bridge it with those cabs. I'd get a sufficient power amp and run the cabs seperately, for independent control of their volume.

6. Yup.

I don't run dissimilar cabs on the same amp channel. My 2x10" is 4db louder than my 1x15" cab and I'd prefer to have some control over the balance between the cabinets.

That said, I sold a Peavey DPC1000 and replaced it with a QSC RMX2450. It's a heavy beast but it sounds a whole lot better :)

I don't like running 2 ohm loads on an amp channel or a 4 ohm load bridged. Some amps will take it just fine - others won't. I'd just prefer to get enough amp where I can keep the load at 4 ohms per channel or higher. That's my preference, though. Your experience might be completely different.

7. Tried out the yamy on the weekend. Its 460 watts a side was of course better than 160 a side.:eek:

but it wasn't enough.

None of those little amps are available over here in australia, including the peavey, i've since found out.:(

The yamaha doesn't seem to make sense as a purchase, although I'm sure it would work fine briged at 4, why buy a product to do a specific job that it isn't designed for?

I'd love to have independant control over relative volumes of my boxes but basically thst means more money for a bigger amp, and i don't really have more money:mad:

we use a mackie 1400 for our pa top bins. i think the next step is to try that out

8. The Yamaha CP2000 is quite similar to the p4500 but it can be bridged into 4 ohms........check it out.

Cheers Rody