A Lot Of Suck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Last nite was not the best of all nights on the rock front.

I was putting together a one time cover project, and got a bunch of guys that are all excellent musicians for the roles. The guy I got for a guitar player is a great guy, a good friend for several years. In his original metal band, he's great. I've seen him do a lot of amazing stuff. He said he wasn't super familiar with the band who's stuff we're covering- so he and I were going to get together and work this out before hand. We hooked up a month ago and got through a bunch of the songs. One thing I noticed is that he wasn't playing full barre chords. There were some chord forms he was totally muffing and others he was playing power chords over. Again, I really respect this guy as a musician and a friend. This was just "out of his box."

I'm a firm believer in 'how good you do what you do determines how you great you are.' In other words, I knew this guy who was a great "Slash" like guitarist. A real Rock/Blues kind of guy and was really good at it. We used to go around and hit open jams. A few times we hit a few jams at blues bars. He stunk the place up. Not just an off night- playing a straight blues thing wasn't his thing. The other guy grew up playing Metallica, I grew up playing the Beatles and Zeppelin.

The other guys in the project were asking me how he was doing, and I was honest with my opinion. We had our first rehearsal Tuesday (without the guitar player guy- I was just going to fill in on guitar). In combination with my performance and my opinion of how well I thought he'd be able to do the material- the guys suggested I play guitar and get someone else on bass.

Last night is the first time I've had an opportunity to talk to the guy. I told him the news, and man that sucked. I had expected him to be somewhat disappointed, but I kinda figured he'd realized this wasn't his thing. He was mad. Really mad. I didn't expect that. I tried to explain everything as honestly and tactfully as I could, but he was mad.

Anyone else had to go through this crap?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One time I told Benjamin Strange that he sucked at being a TBer and he got mad and left.

brad cook
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah man...It's never easy replacing band members. No matter how carefully you approach it someone always gets upset. Usually the guy your replacing. Just try to think about it from a band standpoint. If the member in question is holding back the band as a whole, then its in the band's best interest to replace them. Of course they will take it personally, though. Even if he's a great guy, funny, etc...It's a major blow to a musicians ego.

I know I've been replaced before. The first time, I was super mad. But after a while I came to see it in a different way. I sucked back then, and it was probably real annoying playing with me. Anyway, I kept playing, practicing, doing different projects. Each band is a different experience. Thats just the way it goes.

I've also lost good friends over it too, which really stinks. But, what are you gonna do?
  4. i had to kick a friend out of a band once. it was a bummer. it's like breaking up with a girlfriend...you really hate the act, but you're relieved after.
  5. Dude, getting the full story on this, man, that's rough. I can only imaigne the feeling you had in yer gut after the fact...

It sucks when you play the straight-up good guy about it, and it still blows up in yer face. I hope this all blows over soon. I feel for ya. Not in a Chaka Kahn way, but you know....

6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and that's a bad thing?

(Check out Steve Khan's Eyewitness albums; Khan only chords with the D-G-B-E strings. Not playing the E & A really gives Anthony Jackson a lotta freedom).
  7. When you're doing a cover thing- as note for note "right" as you can, it's nice to be able to hear a minor or a 7th where it's supposed to be.

I'm a hack anyway. ;)
  8. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    So I assume you are doing Spoof Fest again? Who are you this year?
  9. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Ha, Albatross covers "Lonely is the Night".

I actually hate the song, but our guitar player really likes it. Oh well.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My guitar players rarely figure out the difference between
    a major, minor, major 7th or any other little musical
    nuance unneccesary to guitar wanking.