1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Low-Cost alternative to a P 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassamatic, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Well, I have decided that I need a new P-Bass V. I want the 5-string flexibility but I am not willing to give up the sound of my '08 P. My Cirrus 5 is amazing but not right for Classic Rock.

However, they are just too expensive right now. Is there something close, and lower cost with the P sound?

How about a Peavey Fury 5-string? Comments? Other suggestions?

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Yammy BB????????? may be the solution. I know the 4string (single ppup) has a killer p tone, and I have seen the 5er pj ones if thats close enough.

3. A lot of people are going to mention the yamaha bb415

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I asked the same question before I got my P5 and that's the same answer I got then - the Yamaha BB415.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Thanks all - I will keep on the lookout for one.

6. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    If you can find an old G&L L5000 you will be very pleased. They aren't that expensive. I am in the process of getting mine back from a friend. The original P Bass 5er.

7. crazy_bassist

crazy_bassist

Dec 31, 2003
    Yamaha BB415 is a great bass and isn't too expensive. The BB615 is more pricey but active, so if you can grab one used you'll be in good shape!