A.M.P. BH-420 on Ebay - $250 BIN!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Obviously not mine. This looks like one of the early production models, look at the knobs (are those original?). Looks like it's been used quite a bit, but these were pretty much built to last forever. The guy has damn good feedback. Now go get it! Assuming all is well with the head, you'll be thanking me later...

$250 BH-420!
  2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Why this? Never heard one.
  3. Quadzilla

Do a search, these are some of the best sounding heads EVER made, plus there are not a ton of them out there as they were fairly low production units (hand made here in the U.S.). The guys that designed and made these heads are also the guys that designed and made the Acoustic 360, SWR and Eden heads. Many TBers still swear by them stating that there is not much out there that can touch them other than a Thunderfunk of course, which is essentially the same head, just updated by Dave "Thunder" Funk and is avail new today (A.M.P. went out of business in '89). In any event, a killer head for a very resonable price...
  4. Quadzilla

Oh, didn't catch that - thought he really didn't know what one of these were. Here is my delayed laugh....muahahaha.. :p :D ;) .
  5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    LOL Actually bro, I have never heard one. Heard a couple people talk about them one here now and then.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I played the smaller version of that through the 90s... IMO one of the best lines of Solid State heads ever! Thunderfunk made a few nice improvements but the AMP ones are a great find that cheap!

If I could, I'd hit the bin on that as a backup to my tube rig
  7. Some fool just lowballed a bid on it at $175. Wonder if they read about it here? :p

It was $225 including shipping before. Now it's at the very least $175 plus $25 shipping...you think in 4.5 days, no one else will bid on this? :rollno: I just saw one end the other day above $400...oh well...

Greed cracks me up sometimes. A few years ago, I put my '75 Precision up on ebay...auction starting at $700...Buy It Now set at $900...yep...someone lowballed it, killing the Buy It Now. The auction finished at over $1200 :p
  8. Quadzilla

Yeah that sucks because that head is worth every bit of the $250 Buy it Now and now the Buy it Now option is gone because of the low bid. I just hope a fellow TBer gets it...
  9. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    that does suck that someone lowballed it.............I would've hit the bin in a second....................oh well, I'm high bidder for now, we'll see where it goes.......... :bassist:
  10. No doubt...and $250 WITH SHIPPING INCLUDED...how sad! :bawl:
  11. Good for you! :bassist:

I own one of these (thanks Frankie Fender) and it is FABULOUS...blew away even my high expectations.

PS - Frankie, you ain't gettin' her back :cool:
  12. Quadzilla

Well I'm sure that it will go for more than $250 now plus shipping, so this deal has now been blown. Bummer...
  13. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    250 and throw in about $200 and a trip to Senor Thunderfunk and that amp will be one of the best sounding pieces of gear out there.
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    In Europe, they can go for well above that...

I'm not sure those are the original knobs,,, but they are funky! :cool:
  15. Sadly, I have room and a budget for only so many toys! That is one sale I may regret, but I couldn't have sold it to a more appreciative player! :)
  16. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Are you saying that Dave will take a BH-420 and do some upgrades on it? Anyone had this done?

How different (besides the added power and controls) is the basic tone between the AMP and the TF?
  17. Quadzilla

I had it done. Dave went through the head, cleaned all the pots, inspected all of the electronics, installed mini heatsinks on the other side of the transistors and replaced the old "can" style caps in the pre-amp stages with the newer, better caps that are known to be better and last longer. Oh, he replaced some missing knobs too.