Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A.M.P. BH-420 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have the original. It's beat up but it sounds great and it's plenty loud... I'm running it with a Schroeder 1210 which I also love.

My question is this: If I'm running it in the bi-amp mode, can it do 4 Ohms a side? I think it would be a monstrous rig of doom if I could add a 1212 to the bottom! :eek: Just curious of what this amp is capable of for now... :eyebrow: :cool:

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

It's a single channel amp with a built-in biamp crossover. There are no "sides".

To biamp, you'd need to have another amp to drive the second speaker. This could be a power amp or a head like your AMP.

The two cabs you're talking about are full range. If you use the AMP's built-in crossover you'll end up not sending part of the signal to at least one of your cabs. Would that be a benefit? Probably not.

The AMP can only do one 4 ohm cab at a time. To run a second 4 ohm cab you'd need to add an amp.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Isn´t that a mono amp with a built in crossover for an external poweramp? :meh:

Dang. Breat beat me to it. :D

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Gotcha. That's what I thought since there was no bridge-out on the back.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    FYI You can use two 4 Ohm cabs if you connect them in series for a total load of 8 Ohms. Make a special cable and you´re set.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I know, but then it's also less wattage going to them because of the increased impedance... Besides, the one 1210 is more than loud enough for anything I'm doing right now. It's just an interesting set-up to contemplate. ;)

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sorry, didn´t meen to state the obvious. :)
    Those Schroeders seem great. If I weren´t on this side of the pond I´d check them out with my Gibson GB440 amp.