Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A.M.P. BH-420 (Thunderfunk precursor) FS/T

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by jobu3, Apr 5, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    SOLD! Sweet amp! It's the loudest, thickest, fattest 400W you'll ever hear. I'd pit this amp with almost anything rated at twice the power. Very filling tone... Certainly not the Miller Lite of amps! :smug:

It's got it's fair share of scratches on top, the crossover and balance (think SWR Aural Enhancer but more usable) knobs are missing the colored caps. Other than these cosmetics, which I think is normal for an amp that's probably 20 years old, everything else is fully functional. I've played it loud and hard and it easily keeps up with any moderately loud set-up (i.e. my bro's 50W tube amp).

I'd love to keep it, but I can't justify two amps at the moment (Just got an iamp). I will be definitely looking into another one or the BH-260 when I can. :D :cool:

I'm looking to get $365.00 shipped to the 48. I'm also interested in 2 space racks that are 14" deep and SABDDI's (+cash) as far as trades go.

PM me with any offers/questions. :bassist:

Pictures.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Did I read that right? :D

-Mike

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Put your bifocals back on! :p

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    About to send a PM.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The Amplified Music Product BH-420:
    400W @ 4 Ohms. 260W @ 8(?)
    Built by Steve Rabe before he founded SWR.
    Precursor to the Gibson BA-440 and Thunderfunk line.
    Side handle for transport (not rackable).
    Has DI out (pre-EQ), line out (post EQ), effects loop, preamp in, two 1/4" speaker outs, hi/low line outputs with adjustable crossover on the front, gain, limiter, semi-parametric EQ, room balance knob (same function as SWR's aural enhancer), master volume knob.

There is also an enhance knob (there is a 1/4" jack just below it which might be for a foot switch but I'm not sure) which scoops the mids.

It sounds clean, fat, thick, very warm for solid-state.
    No fan, but I've not had it overheat on me in the few months I've had it and I've really played it. It has never shut off. An SWR SM400S I had recently couldn't hack what this thing has.
    -Joe :cool:

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, it's a foot switch jack for the enhance button. The enhance control is what is like the SWR Enhancer, it's just PRESET rather than variable.

The tone balance is like a bass and treble control on a single knob wired so that as one is boosted the other is cut.

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA