A mahogany bodied bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkshadow54321, Sep 3, 2004.

1. darkshadow54321

Sep 3, 2004
    I want to build a bass guitar, and I was wondering about the body woods.

I have the chance to get a mahogany body quite cheap, but I was wondering if that would produce a great sound?

I play mainly hard rock/metal and I want a punchy, articulate powerful sound.

I'm going to use a Seymour Duncan Musicman pickup with their tone circuit, and for the neck I'm thinking either maple/ebony or wenge/ebony. The maple/ebony might be a better choice to brighten up the mahogany and add some more sustain and articulation.

What do you think? :bassist:
  2. Alembic has been using Mahogany as their default core wood since their inseption. It's very even sounding wood; not the lightest, but not the heaviest either. Not the prettiest wood though.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Sounds like a good plan.

IIRC, Gibsons are allllll mahogany.
  4. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Mahogany can be good or bad, depending on the sound you want. It's NOT going to sound like swamp ash. It has a bit of a mid-range signature, too heavy a piece can be too "round" sounding, etc. I'm not a big fan, although in the right mix of neck and fingerboard, it can be okay. Fodera has used them a lot, and my MTD was mahogany with a maple neck and ebony board. It's not a figured wood...Its color can be okay with a natural finish, but lots of people paint or stain it. If you use a mahogany body, unless you're doing an opaque color, you'll likely want to put a top on it.
  5. I have a mahogany bodied P-Bass clone. The body is not too heavy and it has a tone that is quite round and has perhaps a little more mid-range (as opposed to lower mid) presence than an ash or alder bodied bodied P-Bass would have.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I love mahogany. I have a chambered jazz body made from mahogany with a flame maple top. Sound is rude as you want it to be. My neck is a 5-piece neck of mostly maple with bubinga strips. The fretboard is rosewood.
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    My Alembic Exploiter/Spoiler is mahogany. It will rip your head clean off. I play loud hard rock/old school metal, bass sounds very aggressive and bright with strong mids. I've never tried to get a modern, super low/ultra high scooped sound with it, the songs I play don't call for it so I can't comment. I'd call the sound it has a great sound for the music I play. My fretless is also mahogany, it has a great big warm fretless sound, but it has mid heavy Barts suited to that sound.
  8. A very good percentage of Wal basses are made with mahogany cores, and to my ear they sound wonderful. My fretless can sing sweetly, or be extremely agressive. It's a good choice.
  9. darkshadow54321

Sep 3, 2004
    Thanks for the replies guys! (that rhymed....gee, I'm so great... :rolleyes: :p )

So what wood for the neck do you suggest? Definitely keeping the ebony fretboard, but I'm not sure about the neck wood. Maple or wenge? Or other?

I'm going to make it a neckthrough bass with a translucent dark blue finish... it's flame mahogany by the way, so it should look pretty cool.
  10. I would be curious to try a mahogany bass!
    Never tried....

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    As for necks, I really like the 5 piece neck on my mahogany body. Maple and wenge would make an excellent combination.
  12. I've got a mahogony bass coming... it's going to be:

Benavente 51
    5 string
    Burnt Orange with ghost flames or Black with burnt orange flames (it will be a suprise to what Chris does [​IMG]
    Mahogany body
    Padouk Neck w/Ebony board
    Matching headstock
    Two Custom Benavente split P pickups reversed
    Orange LED's
    reccessed strap locks

I can't wait to hear what it'll do. !!!!:bassist:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Les Paul Basses would be Mahogany.
  14. As for the neck...I'd go with maple (tried and true), w/ either purple heart or ebony stringers...yes, w/ the board being ebony! (Can you tell I'm a fan of Alembics?)
  15. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Hmm. Great minds must think alike! I have that combination of wood in a new bass coming from Bee Basses.

Neckthrough maple w/ purpleheart stringers, ebony fretboard. Mahogany body wings, curly redwood top, Hipshot hardware, Delano pickups and Aquilar preamp.

The wait is killing me!
  16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    my Carvin was mahogany wings with maple/walnut neck and ebony fingerboard, sound SO schweet. very mwahy and smooth and kinga growling but smooth at the same time, like a kitty that purrs but then like growls a bit... :ninja:
  17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've got a Stambaugh fretless bass with mahogany body.
    Sounds great.
    Make sure you get good quality mahogany, Hondorus one pc.
    light with tight grain.
  18. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000