A man and a bass walk into a bar in Nashville...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kai_ski, Jul 26, 2013.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    What's odd is the number of people who assume Nashvegas is only about country music.

2. soitainly

soitainly

Aug 21, 2012
    The real kicker of all this, why would any real Nashville pros need to be posting on Craigslist to find a bass player. Anyone at level where they expect a musician to know every song ever written would have a little black book filled with bass players that could handle the gig with 1 hours notice.

3. ^ well spotted!!

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya but which 3? That can make ya or break ya.

5. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    Agreed. Although only so much gets out of town branded as "Nashville". To that point, I was a working player in town for five years before I got a steady country gig.

6. A man and a bass walk into a bar in Nashville...

The bartender says,"Why the long scale?"

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    mmmm.....guess the BL figured you couldn't learn any more songs. :atoz:

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008

The bartender says, "You're looking kinda flat today..."

9. YEAH!

...Luckily he wasn't hurt, but it knocked his bass out of tune.

... The bartender says: "You can stay, but your guitarist will have to wait outside – we don't want no treble in here".

+1, I like a spelling/grammar cop. So I guess you're right, Joe, "no one likes a spelling/grammar cop" because there's at least two of us that do like 'em.

Is that 3 songs for all those genres or 3-per-genre? :ninja:

My bluegrass band did "Fireball Mail", which pedals on the root chord, then shifts briefly to the V chord — and the natural thing to do would be hit the IV chord on the way back to the I chord — but it doesn't ever hit the IV chord in the damn 2-chord song. Coming from a blues background, I found it very difficult to not hit the IV chord. :scowl:

I think "knowing a lot of songs" boils down to knowing a lot of archetypal song structures such as ABAB AABB etc. Then you just need to learn intros and codas. Blues: know at least a few variations of 12-bars, know some variations of 8-bar blues and 16, 24 and 32-bar blues (common in rock-n-roll, country) and you're cool. Typical: Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Bridge, Verse, Chorus, Middle Eight... and variations thereof.

Of course, some songs have signature bass riffs such as "Stand By Me" or the descending line in "These Boots Are Made For Walking" — you've gotta play those signature riffs. Can't play PF's "Money" with a generic bass line.

... The bartender says: "Wow, nice hook! What'd you use, a crayfish, cork popper, Sneaky Pete or a black woolly bugger?"

... The bartender says: "No outside food."
    Man: "All right, no need to carp on about it. I'm here for the halibut."
    Bartender: "Good cod, man, 'll fillet you up."
    Man: I'm not floundering around, I want to have salmon good to eat.
    Bartender: Clam up, shrimp cocktail...
    Man: Don't be rude. I may be smelt, but I've got mussels.
    Bartender: To eel with it, I've haddock with you. Go try your lines somewhere else.

10. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    You guys finally hit your stride, this is actually why I started the thread in the first place.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Around here, the "Broadway" regulars typically know the "Nashville 100"...... an evolving list of standards played in the tourist traps downtown. If, for some odd reason you actually want to play downtown, you'd best know those songs.

I spoke to a guitarist recently about filling an open bassist position in his band. He sent me a setlist, and stated "it's critical that you know these songs." Out of the 40 songs, I could play about 14 from memory, another 10 with a quick brush-up, but the rest I would have to learn (it would have taken me about a week). I told him that. His reply was "never mind, bro, I'm looking for someone who knows all 40 right now. These are 80's songs....if you don't know them now, you'll never be able to learn them....." Wha.......???? AFAIK, he's still looking for a bassist.

12. I- IV- V

or maybe the ever so different..
    I-V-IV

o the crazy complicated ones like
    I-vi-IV -V

not to be confused with
    I-V-vi-IV

and we gotta have a song that does the whole IV->iv thing..
    such as

I- V- V-I, I-I7-IV-iv, I-V, I-V

all in root-5th of course, don't touch a 3rd unless it's really special.

I'm teasing....

It is possible that the band is not organized enough to have actually prepared a song list on a spread sheet to email out. For them to do that would be asking too much, so they say.. "ah never mind"

13. Most people go blank when you ask them to name the songs from their band's set list.

If I wrote a list of all the songs I've performed over the years it would easily be 1000 songs, maybe even 2000. (My first Musical when I was 5yrs old, 25yrs gigging on bass).

I'd really like to know which songs are on this "Nashville 100" list......

14. No matter how many songs they know, there are more songs that they DON'T know. Just sayin

15. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    Americana is the wildcard here though its not all I V

16. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    So I found this list online...

I'd be interested to see how it matches up to the repertoire of any of our Nashville based players.

17. This advice is right on!

18. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    That list is outdated, like Guy N Cognito said, its an evolving list. The classic tunes there are still played, but its very short on Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, little Big Town, Billy Currington, Dierks Bentley etc.

19. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    OP UPDATE

I got an audition this week, but the BL said, "I won't even bother sending you any songs. We'll just have you over and see how things go." I guess his philosophy is that it's good enough to just yell out changes and go... we'll see. If nothing else it'll be a good ear training exercise. Most of the songs (he says there are a couple hundred of them) are old traditionals, as well as Dead, Dylan, Neil Young tunes. So, maybe I was way off with the Nashville assumption.

20. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree with the not posting a list of what you've played before. It seems like a waste of time.

The reason for this, is that although I may have played a song in the past, it doesn't mean that I enjoyed playing it, that I was any good at it, or that I have any desire to play it ever again.

Besides, if I'm looking to audition for a classic rock cover band for example, how is my having played guitar on a cover of Dream Theater's "Metropolis" even relevant if we're planning to be playing songs like "Brown Eyed Girl"?

You would think that if an ad said "We're looking for a bass player for our folk rock band" that all you should have to do is answer with "I can do that", and that would be the end of it until the audition. Unfortunately that's not usually the case.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021