Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A medium range 2x12 or a high end 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 16, 2006.

1. I already have a 2x10 avatar and wanted something to compliment it that has more bottom and clarity and can handle a B string with ease.

Should I opt for a low- medium range cab like a 2x12 avatar, dr bass or find a used Eden 1x15 or Epifani 1x15. which would suit my needs better?

2. Cmon can someone help me out here?

3. I have an Avatar B212 Neo and it handles my low B pretty well. I even tune down half step and it has never given me any reason to doubt it. Not to mention its only like 55 lbs. Thats love.

4. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I have an Aguilar S210 which is great, but for my previous band, I thought it was too polite to be used alone... after trying out a few different 1x15's (SWR, GK, Ampeg, Hartke) I settled on the Ampeg. I decided on the Ampeg because it really pushed the mids and lo mids forward and had a kind of deep mojo that really complimented the Aggie. I did like the SWR, and would have consider it for a standalone, but it didn't provide enough counterpoint to the Aggie...

I guess my point is, that when mixing cabinets, it's best--if possible--try out a few different combos because you never know what exactly will work. If that's not possible, try to describe in as much detail what it is you hear out of your current setup, and what you not hearing that you want to hear by adding another cab (also, what amp are you playing through)?

5. Im playing through a behringer amp for the time being as the Faq said get the best sounding cab first then go for the amp. I have a 2x10avatar delta, it is good for the highs and mids on my peavey cirrus but the lows are lacking. So a medium range 2x12 or a high end 1x15? Which provided the cleaner, deeper sound that can easily cut through the mix?

6. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    it'll really depend on the particular 2x12 or 1x15... if you want a 1x15 that cuts through the mix, consider the SWR SOB or Workingman's 15 (I liked them both, the WM's had a little more low's to it)... plenty of folks here like the match up of their Avatars together (2x10 + 1x15 or 2x12) but I couldn't comment because I've never played them. Another 1x15 that I liked was the Aggie GS115 which has a huge sound but isn't muddy. I didn't try that one with my S210, but it did well on its own... I'm sure it would match up well with a 2x10. That's the best I can tell you IME.