A mellow P-bass pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by count_funkula, Aug 2, 2002.

1. I'm am currently using a SD Quarter Pounder in my P-bass and it is much too punchy and harsh for playing at church. Can anyone recommend a mellow, smooth sounding P pup?

P.S. I love my QP it just doesn't suit what I'm playing.
  2. I guess I would call my '62 Fender reissue pickup "mellow" and "smooth". I sure do like it. I don't know if you want a more vintage sounding pickup, but if you do, I definatly recommend it.
  3. I agree with The Sound of the Police. It has a nice, warm vintage sound. I highly recommend it!
  4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Nuther vote for the Fender custom shop 62.
  5. does the Fender 62 come with pots?
  6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    No. Cloth wrapped wire though.
  7. fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I replaced my '57 r. pickups with '62's, they are sweet. I like them for just about anything I play. They are a little on the low side output-wise, but if you need to step up the signal there are lots of ways to do that, be it through the gain stage of a compressor or a clean boost off of something like a Fulltone Overdrive.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Select by EMG pickups are great for a mellow sound.
    They're cheap, too.

Vintage Fenders work fine.
  9. I have barts in both of mine and they are much to mellow for what I am doing. They were about $125 installed though. Check them out, very smooth and clean.