Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Mess Of Mesa Problems.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christos, May 14, 2001.

1. Someone out there tell what I should do......

I picked up my Buster 200 on February 7, 2001.....

Today is May 14, and the darn thing is having all sorts of problems......

1) The power switch is quirky, sometimes it works fine other times you have to play around with it......

2) The little blue power light just went out for no reason, sometimes it joins me for a song or 2, but usually it does not....

3) Distortion!!!!!!! It almost sounds like there is not enough power to push the speaker....The distortion just started the other night....

Suggestions welcome.....

I know that it is still under warranty, but does anyone have any idea how long this will take to fix, or even what it probably is causing the problems........

2. I just heard from the guy that sold me the amp and he said not to worry that it is probably a power amp that needs replacing, and the switch and the light are probably directly connected.......

So, any other input would still be appreciated though........

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    As far as I've ever known the Buster series was the 200 watt series, meaning you should just replace the tubes.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I fail to see how knowing the wattage/series will help you know what's wrong.

Christos, it does sound like a power amp/tube. I'd just take it into a tech and get it checked out. It's under warranty, so MESA (or Guitar Center will, indirectly) should eat the cost. Shouldn't be a problem, unless this happens again.

Though this may sound stupid, you should always check the fuse. That can cause distortion problems, too. It's also a lot more likely to be the problem this early on.

5. Mesa has had some problems with fuses, and a tech told me that the factory has recommended fuses be upgraded, so if I were a Mesa owner, I would be checking this out.

6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I had problems with my Buster blowing the power light too. Replaced the light and it blew again a few hours later. I sent the thing back. I was paranoid because my b-15 had caught fire the week before and I was worried that I would leave the Buster on by accident and it would catch fire.

I will give credit to UGBM for taking it back after the warranty period had expired.

I wonder if this is a common problem with these amps. Could be a design issue.

7. Well......

Buster and I went to the Mesa/Boogie dealer today, and sure enough he did not distort at all.....

I think it must have been something to do with the electricity at the practice spot.....

They ordered me a new power switch, and light bulb, and other than that buster is perfectly fine......

But once again my equipment made a liar out of me....

8. the mesa customer service is great. my friend bought a used head on ebay, it started having problems, he sent it to the factory, and even though it wasn't under warranty, they fixed it for free and even payed shipping.
    good bunch.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I was stating that the amp was tube, and that it sounds like the symptoms of an old tube amp.