Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A message to everyone who is teaching themselves from scratch...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, Sep 6, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I have been playing bass for just over a year. I taught myself fairly well, and was proficient enough to start playing at church. But, I had my first 'proper' lesson with a teacher yesterday and I only have one thing to say:

Don't waste your time, get a teacher. There was NOTHING like 1 on 1 teaching and having someone actually SHOW me what i was learning, and then watch me do it and give me instant feedback.

Period.

Peace, :bassist: :)

2. Yeah, I played bass for almost a year and a half before I decided to take my first lesson. What an eye opener, sorted my technique out and gave me a new understanding of bass in one lesson. Haven't looked back, still taking lessons now.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    On the other hand, there are a lot of people who can't afford the time and / or the money for lessons. Lessons are worth a lot but, with the wealth of learning resources available and hopefully some chances to play with other musicians, don't give up working on your bass playing if regular formal lessons seem out of the question at the moment.

Wulf

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I think that commitment to learning is the only real relevant factor...

people don't really 'teach themselves from scratch'... you don't sit down with your bass in an empty room and eventually teach yourself theory or proper technique... somehow that info has to come to you from an outside source... you read it in a book, online, or someone shows you...

for many things you could learn that are directly relevant to playing the bass, you do not need a bass teacher as long as you're committed to soaking up as much information as possible... and if you're not, all the bass lessons in the world won't help

I think a teacher can be helpful for technique, general performance/music biz advice, teaching you to read music, and practical application of theory to your playing...

but it's just one part of becoming a bass player... equally important is the time you sit on your own in the woodshed with your bass, trying to decipher basslines off records, practicings scales/arps for 6 hours straight, or with your nose in a theory book or website

ultimately I think the best way to become a better bass player is to play the bass... a lot

5. its true...a teacher is good, but with all the books out there, not to mention websites like talkbass, with a whole mess of people available to help you, self-teaching can be done quite well, it just takes a lot of commitment like cowsgomoo said.

6. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    A teacher and lessons may help provide the motivation to learn things faster. I need that kind of stimulation (inherently lazy).

Other self-motivated types could do just as well with books and DVDs.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'd love to. But time is a problem.

8. +1.

From the few lessons I took many years ago, I concur.
    No one would be able to write properly without a teacher... ;)

What would a good teacher cost these days?

I'd guess about $50 per hour? :confused:

Mike

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually, yes. it costs me $50AUS per hour, but since i am a student, i will be having one lesson every two weeks. its better than nothing, and its more manageable financially. :)

10. It is the equivalent of US$50 in my country as well. Guitar teachers are much more abundant and therefore cheaper, it is kind of hard to find a bass teacher.