A message to parking garage owners in DC:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Bite me.

My father works for the SEC, but his office is not in a federal building, rather it is in a private building rented by the government. Apparently the government does not rent the parking garage. I work as an intern at the NRSC, and I go into work every morning on the Metro. (DC subway system) One day we decided to drive in to the city, and my dad parked in the garage beneath his office's building. We took it up the ass on the way out. $17 to park a car for one day? That's absolutely sick. Remind me never to do business with money-grubbing clowns like that. In a little while, my dad's office will be moved to a federal building, at which point everything will be ok.

Has anyone else heard of such ridiculous practices practiced by parking garages?
  2. Got a 25 dollar ticket for parking in a Cornell University garage this past friday. Nobody was at the garage and the gates were open- they weren't checking parking passes as people came in like they do during the school year. These places make their upkeep off of gouging us. It sucks.
  3. rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    I work in DC for a Fed Gov agency. Same deal ... leased building/garage. We contractors get to park in the adjacent public garage, however. Our garage gets $20/day. I wouldn't still be working here if my company did not cover my monthly parking bill. Central Parking is the garage manager. They or PMI have most of the garages around here.
  4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    My advice to you is to never park in a Chicago Loop garage during the week. You might need smelling salts.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Got y'all beat...

My office in Downtown SF? $50.00 a day... Our CEO parks his Rolls and his Bentley there every day.. most weekends included...

I take Mass Transit.. 3 days of parking or 1 month of unlimited travel?
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

'Probably pays in advance.

In a city like DC. San Fran, or NYC, public trans is the way to go. Parking in most citues is difficult to find, and typically expensive. What else is new?
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I pay $10 to $12 dollars a day in DC. Monday through Friday baby!
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You could've paid a lot more. Understand that parking garages in DC are on some fairly expensive real estate. Someone has to pay.

Of course you could always save money and park at a meter and take your chances witrh those lying sacks o' ____ meter attendants. Don't get me started.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I was just thinking that. :D When I visit people in Milwaukee, we'll hit the bars on a Saturday night, and they'll be outraged at having to pay $5 to park at a lot... for the whole night. Then I tell them about $25+ parking in Chicago and they don't believe me. :D
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    One Kaiser Plaza in SF charges 20 bucks for a half hour. That's not unusual. Dude, you should be grateful you're not living in NYC. :D
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Parked at the Sears in Chatam, Ontario in the '90s. Free parking if you get a receipt stamped. We forgot to get it stamped. The parking attendant was nice and would let us got back in to get it stamped. We decided to pay the 25 cents rather than going throught the hassle :D

The parking is now free all the time.
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Let's see, the last time I was NY (some ten months ago), we were paying 625 bucks a month for a permanent parking space. Out here in LA, I could get a reasonable size apartment for that price.

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot".....