Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a metronome's secrets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danqi, Aug 20, 2001.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Well, this is my problem:
    I bought a metronome because you all repeatedly said that everyone should. After playing around with it for a while and practicing simple stuff to get used to it I started setting it to the speed of of several Rage Against The Machine and Metallica songs since those are the only bands I own songbooks of. Both are transcribed by the same guy (Steve Gorenberg). When I played with the metronome the speed seemed wrong to me, so I decided to run the metronome parallel to my records and it really seems to be way off, e.g. the book says : Moderately Slow = 88 for Bullet in the Head by RATM. But when I set my metronome to a speed of 88 it is too fast.
    To me it seems improbable that someone who profassionally transcribes music and manages to work out songs like that has such a problem with timing. My metronome is a digital one and there really is not much I could do wrong. I set it to 4/4 just as noted for most songs in the books.
    So I guess I got a conceptual problem.

Thanks for any help,
    orthanc

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You have a metronome with a meter setting? Weird.

3. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    i am not really sure what you mean by that

4. before the BPM mesure does it have a half note or quarter?

5. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    there is a quarter note

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not all of us!! ;)

Maybe Jeff was right and he was thinking about just this sort of confusion! :D

7. Set the metronome to the speed of the recording, not what the book says. Books have a nasty habit of being wrong, and IMO you will do better to learn from the recording than from the book. After all, that's how ALL the best players in the world learnt to play!! As Jeff Berlin says, learn the tune first in your own time, then use the 'nome to bring it up to speed.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Or is it a case, that with most "rock" bands the snare will be playing on 2 and 4 and to an inexperienced player this will feel like the "pulse"; so on setting the 'nome and equating this with the snare drum beat, it will seem twice as fast as it should be?

9. wouldn't that make it slower, not faster?

10. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Unfortunately that is not the case. It is not that much off that it is twice as fast as it should be.
    If anyone of you has those songs and a metronome at home please try it yourself. I'll give you some examples from the songbooks in case you find the time to check it:

Metallica:
    The God That Failed = 76
    My Friend Of Misery = 120
    Enter Sandman = 123

Rage Against The Machine:
    Bullet In The Head = 88
    Kiling In The Name = 84

I am just wondering how someone with experience and knowledge enough to proffesionally transcribe songs can be that much off that it is easy to notice.
    I am going to buy a new metronome sometime soon. The one I got is old and very cheap.

11. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    fleabass, in think you're right, that would make it slower.

12. Bruce Lindfield

No, if you've got the metronome playing 4 beats in the bar and think this "equates" to the snare drum "beat" then it's going to sound twice as fast.

I don't listen to this sort of music really, but I can vaguely remember "kiling in the name of" which has quite a slow "funky" pulse and about 90 sounds right to me.

What you need to think about is how many beats to the bar and where they are placed.

13. oh i get it, it would sound like double time... I thought you meant that the metronome would pulse on 2 and 4 only, making it seem slower. But you mean that it will play 4 notes every 2 beats, making it seem faster. you kind of worded that weird..