1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a mid-priced Jazz bass with a maple board?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 28, 2006.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I have a Geddy Lee Jazz that I am about to be letting go of, but afterwards, I was looking into getting another Jazz bass. What other Jazz bass models have maple fretboards that are in the mid-price range?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Fender Marcus Miller sig, of course!

3. Geddy Lee Jazz

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Might wanna re-read the original post there, b4l. ;)

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    It all depends on your view of "mid-priced". The Lakland Joe Osborn and Darryl Jones basses are both available with maple fretboards.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ken Smith Design jazz basses.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Used metro :D

8. Weelll... You got the maple FB part right... But Jazz?:D

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lakland Skyline JO or DJs.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I think that CIJ Fenders are the best "mid-priced" Jazz basses on the market. What's your definition of mid-priced? What don't you like about the Geddy?

11. woopsies :p

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    CIJ Fender 75 re-issue...

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    even with my love/hate relationship with Lakland I'd still say a JO4 if you can play it before paying for it.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Laklands are awesome...

15. aaaaaaaaaaaaaanother geddy?? hehe

cij jazz is a good idea, and squire is putting out a maple neck now.
    i picked one up to try and it feels better than the average squire, which isn't saying a lot actually

maybe a used sterling if you can get a good price on one and want to have an option that isn't a jazz

16. Wayauste

Wayauste

May 17, 2006
    St. Louis MO
  17. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Let us know what you don't like about the geddy and what you are looking for in a bass and surely one of us here can help you in the right direction.

Currently I have a Lakland JO4, Marcus Miller Jazz and Geddy Lee Jazz and have experimented with different pickups, necks, and hardware. After playing them all the modified geddy is the bass I have decided to keep.

18. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    A bass to consider....even though it is not a jazz bass. Check out the Fender Active P-Bass Special. It is a P-Bass body but it comes with a jazz neck (maple or rosewood), and noiseless jazz pickup by the bridge (along with a p-bass pu) and a kick ass active 3-band eq.

I have one with a maple neck....and as much everyone will deny it, this bass kicks the Geddy's ass!! My Geddy never sounded anywhere near as good as this P-Bass. And I even tried putting in a preamp in the Geddy. But the P-Bass just sounds awsome!

If you can get past the P-Bass body....the neck feels just like my '62 Reissue Jazz. Very comfy. And this bass is a funk monster. It has highs and lows that the Geddy never had. And the price of these are in the $550 range. As much as I loved how my Geddy looked, to me the sound just did not cut it.

Here is mine.....don't mind the ugly dude playing it!! :cool:

p-bass.

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Again, if you could tell us why you are getting rid of the Geddy, it would help.

Also, what is mid-price to you?

Anyway, others to consider would be a Carvin B4, used Peavey Foundation (no longer in production), used American Fender Jazz, KSD 70's Jazz.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    at the risk of being self serving. A USA G&L JB-2 kicks the snot out of a Geddy or a Highway 1 ... used market from 600 to 800 depending on condition and the level of dress... these will compare very well with basses from the Fender Custom Shop in terms of build quality.