Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a million basses? or just one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pike66, Jun 18, 2002.

1. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    hey all.
    I'm very basic (BASSic) when it comes to the sound I like to hear when I play.
    Warm, tube round sound (with only subtle gain, midrange variations).
    And I don't see the need for a huge collection of basses in my life, only if I was to use them all at the same time.
    My amp rig is too simple. And I don't have a ton of basses. I have a few brands that I'm in love with, amps/guitars, and I stick with them for the most part. And I don't over indulge.
    I'm just wondering, is a bass player's mystique also due to the amount of gear he/she has? Some product reviews online have these guys telling about every bass they own, and amps, preamps, and crap as if they're bragging. To me, it's about the sound you like, and the sound that comes out. Any thoughts?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    A lot of bassist here and elsewhere are session bassist which sit in and play with a certain group on a project, or play with a group live for a while, and then move on to the next job.

Other bassist just like a very diverse range of styles, and like to have the perfect instrument for each.

Some are just collectors.

In each of these situations, the plentiful basses have nothing to do with showing off, they just have to do with the players personality and situation.

I currently have 4 basses, and 2 amps.

I have my main bass, a G&L L-2500. My multipurpose electric 5 string bass which I use for gigging and practicing.

I also have my Tacoma CB105 acoustic 5 string bass which I use for small all acoustic jams where my band focuses on song writting and arranging, and for bringing to get togethers, and the ocasional acoustic gig.

I also have my Ibanez TR-50 which I have converted to fretless, and was my first bass. I love the plywood body, and will probably never get rid of it for sentimental reasons, and because it has the best fretless sound IMO (seriously!).

And last and definetly least, I have an Ibanez Roadstar II bass from the 80's that is for sale.

Now I also have a Hartke 3500 bass head and self made 2-15" bass cab. I use these for medium to big gigs and anywhere I dont want to go through a crappy PA or sound tech.

I also have a Nemesis 2-10" speaker combo which I use for practices and small to medium gigs where I dont mind having to go through the PA.

I think my gear is reasonable. Wouldnt you agree?

Most people have alot of gear and its justified. I know there are some people with gear just to show off, but its few. Most with what we would consider excessive amounts, are just collectors. No biggie.

Peace
    Nick

3. ...and the relevance to setup is what?

Moved... ;)

:D:D

Merls

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like having a variety of colors on my palette (currently: six).

But even if you're dedicated to just one, it pays to have a backup!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Alot of times in magizines, where it states thier gear, it's a marketing stratgy:

You love a particular players sound so in the artice, it incluses everything down to the brand string & string guage. I feel somtimes it's kinda annoying, but hey. :) What am I gonna do.

I have alot of basses from really high end gear to inexpensive bang around stuff. I'm currently trying to get rid of a few thing & so far 2 basses have just been sold & I might unload my V4B reissue & SVT 810 to my old guitarist new bassist.

I'd like to sell a few other basses, but I know I won't get what I want for it, so it stays in my collection. I.E. Warmoth Dlx Jazz V. I've put about $1000 into this particular bass & I posted it on eBay a few times & the max bid went up to about $500. I'd like to sell one of my Spectors (USA Kramer Era) but the one I'd like to sell isn't in good enough shape to get what I want, $$$ wise. So again, my collection grows.

Right now I've been using my Sadowsky's ALOT. I'll use my 24 fret 5 string with my original band & my vintage 4 string w/my cover band. I always bring a backup to each, usually something less expensive.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I cant believe I forgot the whole backup issue!

I guess thats cuz I sold my backup to get money for my acoustic.

But I am building a backup right now. It may become my main bass though. Who knows!?

Peace
    Nick

7. Well, in my case, I have one 5 string Jazz type, and 2 Precision type. Looking to sell one P bass, and buy a 4 string jazz, and modify it to a PJ. I'm also looking into getting a stingray type sometime as well.

For me, it's all about variation. Without a doubt, Precision basses are my favorite, but somewhat limited. A jazz or PJ can get a wider range of tones than just a P. I have been liking the Ray sound more and more, so I'd like to get a cheap one to funk around on.

As far as amps go, my 15W practice amp is all I need til I start gigging again.

I'm not too big on effects, but have a few.

8. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    I didn't mean to sound like a di*k with my post.
    I have a few basses, and 2 amps.
    I was just expressing annoyance at the minority.
    And I was wondering if the more basses/amps you have makes you a more "complete" player.
    Like I said before, I'm boring. But I love "sound". But only a few particular sound. If I get it with one bass and one amp, then I'm usually satisfied for years. :)

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have exactly one bass and one rig (a head, a 6x10 and a 1x15). If I could afford more stuff, I'd probably have it. If I could afford another bass, I'd probably have one, but I strongly believe in having one or two good, solid items vs. ten or twelve sh***y ones.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's annoying about someone having a lot of gear? If they can afford it, let them have it.

11. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    having a lot of gear is not the problem I have with the minority.
    I was complaining about the bragging that the minority does.
    everybody's different, and I love that. but it's just a little annoying when people on some product review sites list their whole rig, on and on, and not incorporating it with the product they're reviewing.
    it is a definate minority, but I can be a bass bigot some times. lol
    personally, I have 3 basses, and the amp setup that I will probably never change, except maybe for a few cabinet configurations. (ampeg svt classic, with 4x10 cabs.) lol

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some people often try to make up for their ego-insecurities by having many basses and rigs. Some people do the same with cars. Their bragging usually only impresses the inexperienced and those shallow enough to be awed by ownership rather than musicianship.

That's not to dis folks who have a lot of gear. It just boils down to the reasons for owning so much;

- There are simply different bass tools for different jobs
    - Each possesses a beauty that is unique to that piece of gear
    - I have so much money, I can afford to experiment
    - I can't find the one that produces the tones I hear in my head
    - My pee-pee is so small that I have to buy "respect"

I would love to have a huge inventory of gear, but publicizing it wouldn't pump my ego. The only negative aspect, to me, about having a slew of basses is that I would spend most of my time with just 2 or 3 (as I do now) and the rest would never get near realizing their potential.
    The tone of basses with good wood(s) and construction improves markedly over time with playing time, (how often the wood vibrates), and the care they receive.

Most big name players often have a tons of gear but they usually take only a few pieces on tour or to the studio.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There are certain advantages to owning a lot of gear... But the short answer is "no". I've known some incredible players who could only afford crappy second-hand gear.

14. I have a P-bass and a Jazz bass. To me, that covers absolutely everything. I personally will probably never need nor want a 5 string, or a Musicman or anything other than what I have.

15. Ultimately, I want to own about 7 basses. My Rickenbacker, StingRay 5 fretted w/maple fingerboard, Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, Wal Mach I Geddy Lee, Wal Mach II 5 string, Wal Mach II 5 String fretless, and a Steinberger XL2.

Each has quite a distinct personality. In my dream world, i'd have two rigs to compliment the basses, a vintage Ampeg SVT setup for the rock stuff (Rick, GL Jazz...) and an Eden/Epifani setup for the jazzier/funkier stuff (Wal, SR5).

That said, I bet a Wal would sound WICKED through a vintage SVT...

--jeff

16. I like what I have and have no plans for anything else. I love my bass, I could never replace it!
    Meh, all the expensive gear in the world means nothing if the player isnt any good.
    Jim

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    But if the player is good, then its a different story.

And Im pretty good, so for now Ill dream for the day where Im the best.

Peace
    Nick