A minor Chord for guitar

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PorphyaPlayer14, Nov 23, 2002.

1. PorphyaPlayer14

PorphyaPlayer14 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Lets say you are playing with a guitarists he hits lets say the E minor chord which note would you play along with him with, for it to sound most identical would it be E?. I'm askin this question because of an arguement between me and my friend.
  2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i'm guessing this post is gonna be put into another thread by a moderator, but oh well, anything in an e minor scale will fit but to sound fullest than an e. but to play a few arpageos (spelled wrong i think), like e-g-a sounds good and accents the minor third (G).
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, it's spelled wrong, it's <b>arpeggio</b>.
  4. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    not just anything in an e minor scale will fit. for instance, playing an F# over an Em chord will *in most cases* not work. also, for clarification, an arpeggio is root-3-5, so an Em arpeggio would be E(r), G(minor 3), B(5). in answer to the original poster's question, try just playing an E, but if the Em chord is part of a chord progression, say something like Am, Em, C, D, then you could play a B over the Em chord, so the basis of your bass line could be something like A, B, C, D. in a chord progression such as C, Em, D, you construct a bass line something like C, G, A. C is the root of the first chord, G is the minor third of an Em chord, and A is the fifth of a D chord. hope this helps, and doesnt confuse you too much. fell free to PM me if you want to talk theory.
  5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Joel is right - playing an E note will be the one that would be indentical to an E minor guitar chord, but you don't always want to play a note that sounds indentical to what a guitarist is doing. But if you want to know about that, you'll have to go into theory...

...and the best place to do that is in the General Instruction forum. :)
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    One thing that may be relevant is what note the guitarist is actually playing. For example, the first Em chord a lot of guitarists learn will consist of E, B, E, G, B and E - any of those notes will work, and the best choice depends on what comes before and after (as JoelEoM outlined) but E is the lowest note being played by the guitar and so would be a safe bet.

On the other hand, they might be using a different shape, eg a barre chord at the 7th fret. That would be B, E, B, E, G, B. There you might find that a B works best... or you might find that the guitarist is only playing the middle four strings (in which case, back to the E as the most likely contender).

Above all, don't be afraid to experiment - try different notes and just see what they sound like... after all, just because the guitarist is using what they describe as an Em chord shape doesn't mean that Em is the chord which works across the whole ensemble. Sometimes, a different bass note will work and put a whole different spin on things things.

For example, take the triad (three notes) making up Em:

E G B

Now add E as a bass note:

E E G B

That sounds pretty decisively like Em. However, try sticking a C on the bottom instead:
    C E G B

That spells Cmaj7 - often it will sound wrong, but if you're looking for a jazzy inflection, maybe it will work. Theory helps... but you've got to trust your ears as well ;)

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I can imagine a few cases in which E would NOT be the most appropriate note. All of them involve the chords before and after the Em in question. What's the whole progression, and what are the other bass note choices being discussed? No, you don't have to tell us which side you're on!