A mixture of Carlssons and Pops???

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by URB4life, May 1, 2002.

1. URB4life

May 1, 2002
    I had a bass teacher for about 6 months, and he would say in the class that he used a mixture of carlssons and pops. He said he melted them down in the microwave. I was wondering if any of you have done this before, and if you knew what kind of container to melt them down in, for how long, and how long to let them sit before you use it again. Any other details would be helpful. I would ask that teacher again, but i am afraid i have lost contact of him. I believe he moved back east somewhere. Thanks in advance.
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Hang on URB, someone on this board does mix their rosins. I just can't remember who.

Oh yeah, it's David K. His method also involves rapid temperature changes applied to the rosin, depending on the type of music he is performing, and I believe taste-testing the rosin to assure the perfect mix:D

I think rablack has had some rather interesting contributions to this particular query too.
  3. Dorminator

Oct 22, 2002
    so David K doesn't say much....
    do you know if he chews it???
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Dude, trust me - you don't want to know what SPECIAL K does with his rosin, although I think there's a pay site out there with pics if you just can't stand the suspense...but it's only legal if you live in certain zip codes. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
  5. Tim and I have seen David K. play and I for one think he was injesting something.

I wonder if Tim has some observations of his own........Tim?
  6. Dorminator

Oct 22, 2002
    The idea of cooking rosin never occured to me, but wow it apears to be a good idea. I have used 'holstein'
    and pops and that german stuff in the green plastic container, which if I remember was pretty chunky...
    The thing I found helpful is to fan the bow on the underneath side of the hairs... this takes some of the clumps out. I was a heavey rosin abuser. I really liked to gum up my bow. I rosined it virtually every time I played and sometimes during. It might have been the only thing holding the top of my bass together. Perhaps if I was using gut strings though I would have gone a little lighter on the stuff.