a modded mark hoppus p-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Sep 16, 2003.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Let me know what you would think of this? The idea has been in my head for awhile:

Mark Hoppus P-bass body w/ Duncan QPB-3 Pickup
    Jazz Bass Neck
    Leo Quan BA Bridge
    Jazz Pickguard with P- p/up cavity (white or black pearl

Of course I would sell the hoppus neck, pickguard, electronics (minus p/up), neckplace, bridge, etc. So whatcha think?

2. sounds awsome, it'll be a really sweet lookin bass. but is it really worth all of that to have just the body of it? you could do the whole thing with warmoth? i'm not sure of all the prices, but it might be cheaper, unless you want all the extra parts.....
  3. thageeze

thageeze Guest

Aug 4, 2002
    Niceville, Florida
    ^^ probbly depends on how much that seymour duncan pickup costs
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You can get them for as low as $60. I prolly should get a Warmoth, but I'd rather just get the Hoppus for bragging rights, being able to say I made something beautiful out of something hideous. Plus I can't find any premade Surf Green Jazz Bodies with a P- p/up routing. It would cost me 400 to have one made wouldn't it?

5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Get a surf green Jazz and swap out the pickguard and the pups.
  6. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I also heard they were making the Hoppus bass in Black and Olympic White.
  7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    definatly go Warmoth... you'll be saving yourself a good amount of money... plus you can choose your own paint job and wood config.
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    the hoppus already has a jazz neck doesnt it? with a precision body?

or is it a precision neck with a jazz body?

*ugh* im confused
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Wow, that seems like a pretty funny objective. Pointless and expensive too.

Seriously, what's hideous about the Hoppus Bass? It's a MIM Fender P. It has a Jazz neck, a Badass bridge, and a Basslines pickup.

I have played a few at my local guitar center. They all sounded good. They all played very well. After trying a few, buying one was a real easy decision and I have found that I give that bass a lot of play. (Even though technically speaking, I bought it for my wifey.) ;)

So anyways, back to my question. What is hideous about the Hoppus bass?
  10. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its a jazz body with a P- neck width. If I want to have Jazz body, I want to feel a Jazz neck.

Whats hideous about it? The ugly pickguard, the fact that it is the least versatile bass ever made. It comes with a standard MIM Fender Bass Bridge and a P- neck. Think about adding a Leo Quan for sustain and intonation, then a J-retro for some variable tone. Now that would be so good it would make your mother cry.

ps: they are doing them in Olympic White and black now, but no more shell pink.
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, basically, you want to drop $1000 on a parts bass with a MIM body. Got it. Great plan.

Of course, you might want to reconsider the use of the JRetro since it is designed for two pickup basses, and consider the P Retro, instead.

And, as for least versatile basses, you're right--the PBass with one tone knob, one volume knob, and one pickup are hideous things that will never stand the test of time. Oh, wait....
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Subjective, but okay. I actually dig that pickguard.

Least versatile? Just because its a P-Bass with no tone control? It seems pretty versatile to me. I just change the position of my playing hand, the angle of, and intensity of my attack and I can get a lot of variation.

I can see the bridge upgrade. Fine. Modify the bass as you like.

But if that is all that makes the bass hideous, then all I can say is... Yeah, whatever.

I find it to be a pretty darn good bass.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, but, but--it's a Mark Hoppus bass, Gabu!!! Don't you understand that immediately makes it a lesser instrument? Sheesh, Gabu--pay attention. ;)
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Ooooohhh, yeah! Sorry. :) ;)

I thought he was talking about my Melbert Huppus series bass, which is much more respectable.
  15. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Bass Monkee, you must have no clue what bass Iam talking about. The Mark Hoppus P-bass doesn't even have a tone control. You get one sound out of it. I asked the guys at the J-retro forum about a single pickup, and they said it would work fine. And where do you come up with $1000? Here is how it would be broken down.

Hoppus P-bass (used, $350)
    Sell neck (-$150) = $200
    MIM Jazz neck ($150)= $350
    J-retro ($250)= $600
    BA Bridge ($60)= $660
    WD custom pickguard ($50)= $710
    Sell pickguard (-$25)= $685
    Sell bridge (-$15)= $670

That seems pretty reasonable for a project bass.
    If you're saying that changing your hand playing makes the bass veratile, then every bass is versatile.

Don't forget why this bass is made in Mexico. Its aimed at kids who adore Blink 182 and want to imitate them in evey possible fashion. Don't even bother denying that. I know kids that have this bass solely for the reason that it says Mark Hoppus.

16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA

If you think that modifying this bass will serve your needs, then that's cool. Obviously you know what tone and playability you are after better than me. I am not saying that you can't make a cool bass out of the Hoppus. I was just disputing that it is "hideous".

I like it as it is, but that is just my own musical taste.
  17. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The only problem you are going to encounter is getting the amount of money you think you will for the parts you're selling. No matter how you slice it , you're selling a used mexican Pbass neck for the price of a new neck. Good luck. I doubt that the pickguard will sell at all since its cut for a P pickup but fits on a JBASS.You're better off buying parts and making a great bass, rather than resurrecting a bass to prove a point.
  18. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Isn't that exactly why you've chosen the Hoppus to mod? You may be on the other end of the spectrum, but essentially it's all the same.

Do whatcha want man.. that's the beauty of it. Just don't expect everyone to back you for making mods to "personalize" a bass for yourself. Key word being "yourself."

I'd personally go to Warmoth, US Customs, or Ebay to find parts & build my own... in fact, I did just that not too long ago. Took my time, found deals, & made a useable bass out of parts for $225 & about a week of afternoons in front of the TV.

Now, I have another nice bass, I saved some cash, and I know the anatomy of a bass inside out... meaning I can now do setups for myself and friends who don't know how.
  19. Yep.
  20. you really ought to do some research with warmoth or USA custom, or even mighty mite. Warmoth quality is simply great, and you wouldn't have to buy and go through the hassle of selling. (gettin it sold, the price you get and what not) you could also, like said, order any finish you want, any neck wood combo you wanted, any pickup, electronics and pretty much anything.

Price wise, I think you could do it for about the same price. But if its a little more, than so be it, the bass will be that much better.

Last thing, don't think dropping an active eq into a P bass will make it super versitile. A one pickup bass is a one pickup bass, your fingers, hand position and attack will do much more for your sound than any eq can (without completely distorting the voice the bass already has.)

in the end, its your money, but why bother asking us for advice if you already knew exactly what you wanted to do and refuse to listen to any of our suggestions?