Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A moderatly priced Six String? Around... $800?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 22, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As stated in a previous post, I would like to do a little work with a restrung sixer, but since a lot of you already play sixers, and have done the legwork, what would be a good bass for my 800-about-1000? I was thinking about a Warwick, but they're sssspendy! Any good recomendations? I'm not into the looks so much as I am a 35"+ scale and a decent bridge that can handle the F#, as well as a neck that can support the extra tension.

2. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    there is almost no difference in tension between an F#BEADG bass and a BEADGC bass, because although the strings are fatter on the bass with the F#, they are tuned lower.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, with a .150" low F#, the tension is a bit lighter on the neck.

neck tension isn't going to be an issue here, but neck rigidity will be. don't think that just getting a 35" or 36" neck will cut it, either, because i've played some 36" scale instruments strung low like that and they didn't do as well as my 34"ers with the low F#. for the amount you are wanting to spend, other than the GT-7 ( :D) i think your going to have the most luck looking at a used instrument - probably an older yamaha trb, preferably neck through. in fact, i would also suggest that you try to find a neck through as opposed to a bolt on - in my experience, neck throughs have a better time with the low F# than bolt ons do.

my personal pref is that warwicks necks are a bit difficult to deal with, a bit round like a bass ball bat. just my experience - i do like the way they sound.

if you need any help you can email me if you like.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez ... a .150 string. Where do you get those? Make 'em out of crane rigging?