1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A moderatly priced Six String? Around... $800?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 22, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As stated in a previous post, I would like to do a little work with a restrung sixer, but since a lot of you already play sixers, and have done the legwork, what would be a good bass for my 800-about-1000? I was thinking about a Warwick, but they're sssspendy! Any good recomendations? I'm not into the looks so much as I am a 35"+ scale and a decent bridge that can handle the F#, as well as a neck that can support the extra tension.

2. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    there is almost no difference in tension between an F#BEADG bass and a BEADGC bass, because although the strings are fatter on the bass with the F#, they are tuned lower.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, with a .150" low F#, the tension is a bit lighter on the neck.

neck tension isn't going to be an issue here, but neck rigidity will be. don't think that just getting a 35" or 36" neck will cut it, either, because i've played some 36" scale instruments strung low like that and they didn't do as well as my 34"ers with the low F#. for the amount you are wanting to spend, other than the GT-7 ( :D) i think your going to have the most luck looking at a used instrument - probably an older yamaha trb, preferably neck through. in fact, i would also suggest that you try to find a neck through as opposed to a bolt on - in my experience, neck throughs have a better time with the low F# than bolt ons do.

my personal pref is that warwicks necks are a bit difficult to deal with, a bit round like a bass ball bat. just my experience - i do like the way they sound.

if you need any help you can email me if you like.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez ... a .150 string. Where do you get those? Make 'em out of crane rigging?