1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Modern Method for Guitar Volume 1

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Oct 23, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I am teaching my 7 year old daughter guitar with the Berklee book, A Modern Method for Guitar Volume 1. I know this is bass, but the principles seems to start out the same so I wanted some advice. She quickly understood how the notes work (whole, half, quarter, eighth). I did a little exercise where I tapped a 4 beat and she would vocalize the proper length of a note. Then we went over the treble clef. She can already play some chords and twinkle twinkle. The next part of this is where it will have her play the C scale from the 3rd fret, it has standard notation with a C and a 3 at the top. It doesn't explain whole steps and half steps nor did it even lay out all of the notes prior to this. Should I be going over the formula for a major scale? Should I have her map out the fretboard on her own with some information that I give her?

As a side note, I am not trying to teach her only from this. I let her sing while I play guitar for her to make up songs and also using another book for chords to make it fun for her. I thought I'd see how this goes. The reason I got her a guitar is because she went up to a toy piano when she was almost 6 and read the color coded book and played Twinkle Twinkle without any help. Also she has a great ear. I tested her once and she knew I started a song on a wrong note.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    that book can be a pain in the ass for my adult students unless they are exceptionally motivated. if you can make it work, more power to you!

imo opinion the method books are well thought out so if explaining the formula was necessary at that point in playing theyd do it. its more about learning to read in first position and getting your hands together at that point.